• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurricane Ian claims a 2002 Turbo

dang

13 hours ago, Conserv said:

Perhaps, but not everyone shares a single view toward classic cars. I, for instance, could not imagine buying a beautiful turnkey, already-restored classic car. The restoration process is an enormous component of my interest in classic cars, and I wouldn’t miss it for the world!  

Best regards,

Steve

I agree.  For me putting $70-$80k ( Cdn$ is 100-120K)  into the purchase of this car also commits me to letting go of the process of restoring this car, as my ability, access to resources, time, and expertise places out of touch.  I would get my buddy Adam to do it. 

The paradigm shift that it would take to approach this project is so overwhelming that I feel that I would be better off getting one completely done, as to not detract from the end value of my handiwork. 

As I neither have the $150K (CDN$) to see this through, nor am the person who buys rather than builds, I will be firmly and contently in the weeds.

Actually If I am being honest, I could buy one restored, it would move the needle a bit, but I would rather put the money towards sparking joy in the lives of my family and friends. 

Somehow I would feel selfish if I did buy this.  I would need to know that the people around me are happy and content before I spent $200K (ish) on an iconic item (be it art or not). 

Edited by Dudeland
Added "would".
  • Like 5

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Whilst this may just be conspiracy theory. Since my page one comment depicting the gauge cluster-showing the high water mark, the auction site recently updated just that image to what's below.  

Goes to show what the internet has done to lying-through-omission practices as well as false narratives.  

1974 BMW 2002

• Sad 1

But what do I know

3 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Whilst this may just be conspiracy theory. Since my page one comment depicting the gauge cluster-showing the high water mark, the auction site recently updated just that image to what's below.  

Goes to show what the internet has done to lying-through-omission practices as well as false narratives.  

1974 BMW 2002

Looks like they cleaned the whole car. They definitely cleaned the oxidation off the aluminum on the engine.

Also the 850CSI is already up to $15,500!!!!!

Edited by 2002iii

32 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

Looks like they cleaned the whole car. They definitely cleaned the oxidation off the aluminum on the engine.

Well to their credit, The "E" is checked in the listing.  🙂 

Enhanced Vehicles
Enhanced Vehicles

Vehicles listed as "Enhanced Vehicles" are those where: (i) the seller has authorized Copart to perform an enhancement service to the vehicle such as a wash and vacuum or protective covering or (ii) the vehicle is under a program that gives Copart discretion to utilize enhancement services to maximize the value of the vehicle. This designation does not guarantee that any enhancement service was completed but rather indicates that qualifying vehicles would likely be enhanced. It is the Member's responsibility to inspect and verify the utilization of enhancement services.

• Like 1

But what do I know

When I bid on cars I consider the "Enhanced" label as meaning it doesn't start and nothing more.  Enhanced, Starts, Runs and Drives are the basic labels.  I guess enhanced sounds a lot better than Does Not Start, or DOA.

One thing is for certain, everything that Copart does is in Copart's best interest before anything else.  They have limited information and limited photos on purpose.  They have a sliding scale cost for "Internet fee" when you bid online, even though they charge the same if you bid in their lobby.  A cheaper car might cost $29 for an internet bidding fee and an expensive car might cost $129, for pushing the same button on the website.  Copart fees are insane and will continue to ratchet up because it's a publically traded company and has to show growth.  I get pissed off every day after buying cars and entering the fees in our system.  😬

• Like 1

I am quite curious to see how this one turns out.

My girlfriend and I bought a 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6 via Copart just over 6 years ago. It was a "donated" vehicle, so we were able to get a clean title in CA because we used a friend's dealer license to bid on the car. Purchase price was $2K, but $400 in fees and taxes, so that could be steep for a 2002 Turbo, flooded or not . . . .

Our Alfa story ended up being a happy one, the car had a bent valve, did a valve job and some other key maintenance and repairs and it has been a reliable daily driver for most of the last 5 years. I am not sure where a flooded and restored 2002 Turbo will land in the pantheon, but hopefully it will end up with an enthusiast who actually drives the thing!

Edited by cda951
  • Like 1

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

10 hours ago, dang said:

This one?

YES!

I will further derail this thread by explaining that the magazines which are visible in the passenger footwell are issues of 1990s European Car magazine---I'm sure many of you here read that publication back then as I did as a lad. The previous owner of the GTV6 had gathered all the mid-1990s issues of EC in which they had articles about their GTV6 project car, and they were all in the car when we took delivery, along with a set of new spark plugs (which we used).

Fast forward to the very first Radwood '80s-'90s car show of 2017 at Brisbane marina in the SF Bay Area (quite small compared to today's events, and for fun we arrayed all the European Car magazines on the package shelf), and we noticed a gentleman who was hovering around our GTV6 and couldn't seem to peel himself away. My girlfriend and I introduced ourselves, and it turned out he was the same Paul Mitchell who wrote all the EC GTV6 project car articles from the 1990s. He had since become a Mercedes guy, but soon after got back into Alfas and bought a nice GTV6 and a Milano, and more recently a 105 GTV. He officially credited my girlfriend and I for getting him back into into Alfas :)

What does this have to do with BMW 02 cars? Not much, except it highlights how cool old cars can help to facilitate connections between people. This flood-damaged 2002 Turbo may not do the same, but I hope that it does, somehow, some way, and that it will eventually be driven on a regular basis.

Edited by cda951
  • Like 6

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

I went to the Copart Punta Gorda South site today to try and preview some of the lots including the 2002 Turbo. Unfortunately, I could not get in, they are not allowing previews of the inventory at this time and probably will not for at least the next 30 days. Too much volume and traffic at the location is the reason.

Cars are still coming into the the lot by the hundreds daily.

• Like 2

I'm sure most saw the McLaren P1 floating out of the garage, next to the owner's Roller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4y1MV0fEnM&ab_channel=FactsGuru

Apparently the RR Phantom floated out later...

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif