• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Lift Installed..Thrilled.. Then Frustration.. Then Fixed

73tiiDavidPA

Well, first off, it's certainly a first world problem so I' tryin to take it all in stride.  

After getting the garage built about 10 years ago, and electricity installed about 8 years ago, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a lift.  This was all part of the plan, having the garage built with 12 foot ceilings. 

I intentionally didn't shop on price, but went more for experience and confidence in the purchase.  A lift I figure is not something to be left to the lowest bidder.  My son's soccer and cross country coach owns a local automotive shop supply and petroleum management equipment company.  They sell and install Rotary, Forward Lift, and Direct-Lift and do many of the dealership installs in the region.  My understanding from research and speaking with their sales rep was that the Rotary is the top tier, with Forward lift being the middle and Direct-Lift being the lessor of the three.  While the Direct-Lift probably would be fine for my hobby needs, they didn't have that lift in stock and weren't expecting any until next year.  They did however have the Direct Lift in stock, which I was also told is the exact same lift as a former Rotary lift model of last year. 

So a few weeks ago I bought and had a Forward Lift I10, two post, overhead, 10,000 lb., asymmetrical model installed.  The install guys were great and everything went smoothly.  The only thing about the install is that they don't do the electrical.  They do test the motor by using a wall outlet, but only unloaded, not with a car on it.  So it was several weeks before I could get an electrician out to complete the install.  That was yesterday.  The electrician was also installing a few extra lights in the garage while he was there (more light the better).  While the electrician didn't complete the install of the lights before the weekend, he did complete the lift install. 

It was with excitement that I pulled the tii into the bay and went for the first "lift" with my new toy last night.  Everything went great, got the arms adjusted, double checked everything and off the ground we went!  What a pleasure it was to be able to walk under the car and see / inspect the underside with such ease and room.  I was totally overjoyed in just how easily working on the car will be in the future. 

So why the total frustration?  Well, upon lowering the car it didn't come down.  After many attempts, reading and re-reading the instruction manual, there is no joy.  It appears that with the car lifted up, and releasing the locking latches with the unlock lever, the left side of the locking pins are not releasing / letting the lift arms down.  The car lowers steadily, but the catches on the left side.  So right now the car is stuck on the lift.  I'll call the install guys on Monday and have them come out and adjust / correct the situation.  Sort of a total bummer.  I'm sure it will all get sorted out, but I was looking forward to having a garage filled quality weekend.    

Wheels up!

IMG_2374.thumb.jpg.754f98108bdf2f0e2a893f51e9924e91.jpg        

Getting clearance

IMG_2375.thumb.jpg.d7365495d296df378c3012f9423794d9.jpg

mid lift

IMG_2378.thumb.jpg.0f4d555e59605f58930c350c97672dac.jpg

and up... (but unfortunately not down)

IMG_2377.thumb.jpg.440cb8e0065b9b842cebac8c7970b46b.jpg

Edited by 73tiiDavidPA
correct title
  • Sad 1

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

Take advantage of it being stuck in the air to do full clean up job underneath or anything else that needs doing          The guys will fix the adjustment , that is why I have hoist guys that do both, the electrical as well as the install, that way , they can check it all  out      Nice lift, you will love it

Thanks, Rick    

40 minutes ago, stephers said:

Take advantage of it being stuck in the air to do full clean up job underneath or anything else that needs doing          The guys will fix the adjustment , that is why I have hoist guys that do both, the electrical as well as the install, that way , they can check it all  out      Nice lift, you will love it

Thanks, Rick    

Yep, already started cleaning the underside. It’ll be a multiple month process I’ll pick away at. Unfortunately the lift install crew wasn’t certified for electrical. I am looking forward to loving it. 

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

40 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Relatively minor glitch, you will get it sorted toot sweet 😁

Nice wheels

Thanks, your post made me remember I’ve owned it 30 years now. It’s a survivor with original paint and alloys. 

• Like 1

Benjamin Franklin

Are the locks electrically actuated or pneumatically?  Most the ones I've used are pneumatic, and you need to first make sure to lift the car HIGHER to get the pressure off the locks, and then the pneumatic cylinders can retract them, and then you can bleed of the hydraulic pressure to let it all down.  Are you sure you have it up off the locking pins and they're just jamming from the weight on there?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

Are the locks electrically actuated or pneumatically?  Most the ones I've used are pneumatic, and you need to first make sure to lift the car HIGHER to get the pressure off the locks, and then the pneumatic cylinders can retract them, and then you can bleed of the hydraulic pressure to let it all down.  Are you sure you have it up off the locking pins and they're just jamming from the weight on there?

The lock release is a lever on the side of the lift and is cable driven.  The lock points are like every 4 inches I think.  Yes, I lift the arms up off the locks (all the way up until it stops raising, then I stop the lift motor and then pull on the release lever and hold down while lowering.  While I lower, the right side continues, but the left side stops.  Once the tilt is out of balance, the whole thing stops lowering.   

Benjamin Franklin

• 73tiiDavidPA changed the title to New Lift Installed..Thrilled.. Then Frustration.. Then Fixed

Well,

After a cool down period for me and some research online I ventured back to the garage.  Taking off the covers for the release mechanism showed a pretty simple lever and bicycle brake cable type line that runs to the other post for the other post's lock release.  The cable needed to be shortened by about 3/4 or an inch so the far post would fully disengage the cable.  Once that was done, it worked fine.  I'll probably still have the lift guys some and check my work.  This is something I obviously don't want to go wrong.  

IMG_2383.thumb.jpg.21a75b4890f413d3e2424df423203579.jpg

IMG_2385.thumb.jpg.dbf33ebd26a15bb901f10152ad9fe40b.jpg

Benjamin Franklin

I am glad you found the cable adjustment.  I had a similar problem with my lift - a BendPak 10k symmetric but similar in principle relative to the lever/cable actuated release.  The near side was fine, but the far side latch eventually was not fulling disengaging.  I think the cable just stretches over time (or perhaps was never adjusted perfectly).  I was able to make the adjustment and have easy up and down again.  

Enjoy the lift - it is a hobby life changer!

Edited by autokunst

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"

2 hours ago, jimk said:

Why is the cable rubbing on the hole edge in the second photo?  That could prove problematic in time.

Not sure what you mean by "rubbing on the hole edge".  

the extra cable end is just wrapped in a coil.  The cable forms a loop, secured by the double nut thingy (very technical term I'm sure) around the black peg that pulls the latch / lock mechanism down.  The extra cable from the end I just wrapped in a coil.  The install guys had also wrapped the extra cable length in a coil. 

Benjamin Franklin

Jim, I think you are seeing the end of the spring. The cable only goes to the pulley and appears free and clear. Whereas, the spring that provides tension on the release lever bears against the column.

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"