• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel fitment over big brake kit

Aaron R

Hi y'all - 

The last owner of my '74 tii upgraded the front brakes with calipers from an e24 and the hubs/vented rotors from a 320is. That means stock 02 13 inch wheels with standard backspacing no longer fit. A shame, since the car apparently had Cromodoras before the big brakes went on. Needless to say, they're long gone. 

The car now wears 320is turbines, which I actually like the look of, but I am worried that the backspacing is too shallow and the offset isn't great for my car to handle the way it's supposed to. 

My question is: Does anyone have experience getting 13s close to the stock backspacing to fit without grinding calipers down? Is there a set of wheels that will work without being pushed too far outboard? I searched around the forums some and couldn't find a solid answer, so I figured I'd ask if anyone has been here before and figured out a clever workaround. Since I already have a decent set of brakes with vented rotors, I'd rather not revert to stock, both for the sake of cost and time. 

Thanks! 

A

'74 2002tii 

Maximum honk

be careful when grinding the calipers. We did it for our track car and went to hit the brakes and , eurika, thar she blows, the brake fluid came gushing out and we lost the brakes, must have got a bit agressive with the grinder and it blew through the wall. 

1 minute ago, Rich said:

be careful when grinding the calipers. We did it for our track car and went to hit the brakes and , eurika, thar she blows, the brake fluid came gushing out and we lost the brakes, must have got a bit agressive with the grinder and it blew through the wall. 

This is why I don’t like the idea of grinding the calipers. 

'74 2002tii 

Maximum honk

This is a question we can't definitively answer-

I managed to get 13" zero offset Panasports to fit over the E24 calipers

with just peripheral grinding of the sharp 'edges' of the casting, 

which were pretty obviously superfluous.  I've ground a number 

pretty aggressively and not yet struck oil.  It's easy to avoid the 

bores,  if you disassemble the calipers,

but you have to intuit where the drillings are

for the passageways.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 9/16/2022 at 4:24 PM, TobyB said:

This is a question we can't definitively answer-

I managed to get 13" zero offset Panasports to fit over the E24 calipers

with just peripheral grinding of the sharp 'edges' of the casting, 

which were pretty obviously superfluous.  I've ground a number 

pretty aggressively and not yet struck oil.  It's easy to avoid the 

bores,  if you disassemble the calipers,

but you have to intuit where the drillings are

for the passageways.

t

Do you pronounce it 'super-fluous?' One of the many reasons why people look at me funny...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

+1 on going with 14" or 15" wheels.  If you stay with 13" wheels, you'll soon find out that decent 13" tires have gone the way of the dinosaur in the US market. These 15" Amil 15X7 ET 25 wheels with Yokohama 195/50-15 tires are on my 74 tii.

123393585_10218759155435930_6914398477134657857_n.jpg

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner