• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition key stuck

segtii

Does the key move from park to accessory to ignition on and finally to start?  If so, the above tricks might work.  And make sure you have the ignition key turned to the off position before trying to remove it.

If the above tricks don't work, I did a column on unjamming an ignition lock; PM me for a copy. 

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, 2002iii said:

Use graphite for locks not oil!!!!

Normally I'd agree, but with the key stuck I would use a light wicking oil and with the key removed flush the lock with contact cleaner then use the graphite. Otherwise You'll need to remove the lock and find out which part is not getting with the program. Get Mikes article they are great.

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thanks for the suggestions. I mis-spoke, I used graphite, not oil. The key turns freely over the full range from off to start. The steering wheel moves, not locked. Can I drill out the pin holding the tumbler mechanism into the lock assembly while the key is still in the lock?

1 hour ago, segtii said:

Can I drill out the pin holding the tumbler mechanism into the lock assembly while the key is still in the lock?

Yes.  If you're lucky and use the correct diameter drill bit, the bit will lodge in the pin and you can spin it out.  With it removed, you may be able to gently push the key out from the back side without further dismantling.  But if you have to dismantle, it will involve filing off a couple of peened-over mounts to remove the cylinder (the part that rotates with the key) and remove it from its housing.  Hopefully the key will come out without having to do that...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite