• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor housing self sealing washer leak - confused!

sam1904

Hi All,

I finally used the oil dye, and IR goggle / lamp today to try and track down my oil leak(s) on this new motor. One of the areas I saw history of a (small) path of oil from was around the 'self sealing washer' below. Being the hack that I am I took it out, wiped it off and reinstalled (TIGHT). I then started the car and had a TORRENT of oil from this area...... I put a flashlight on it for 10 seconds and it seemed to be coming out around this bolt, between the head and housing specifically

I again removed the bolt and washer fearing the worst but see no cracks etc. in the housing photo I took below.

So now I am confused. When I look at some images I found below it appears that this hole is fully surrounded by gasket and hence should not see oil, I also stuck a toothpick in it and confirmed it is a blind hole so again no oil on the bolt... Given this why does this bolt need a special sealing washer and how can the volume of oil (e.g. a quarter to a half a quart in 20-30 seconds after I reinstalled and tightened!) I saw coming from around it be resultant?

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Sam

image.png.af500adcc2dcaa94561e12acaf0a6553.png

Distributor flange mating surface.jpg

image.png.ae85fb55c0caf24a4dd3c79fc880910e.png

Edited by sam1904
Clarify

2022 Defender 110 30th Edition

1976 BMW 2002 - Evolving...

Sam,

That special sealing washer is one-time use ... as I recall.

That washer seals the high-pressure oil coming out of the hollow intake rocker shaft. That pressure is what the oil switch sees.

Tighten the M8 bolts on the distributor flange first to 18 lb.ft., then the M6 bolt to 8 lb.ft. using a new special washer. Do not overtighten.

John

PS: I haven't seen those pictures in years ... was April 2017 when I took 'em.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, John76 said:

You did put that special washer on the OUTSIDE of the dizzy flange ... didn't you?

Sounds like a lot of oil coming out between the head and the housing.

Head, paper gasket, flange, sealing washer, M6 short bolt.

Sorry....just checking.

I did indeed, I am still amazed at how much oil forced out between the casting / washer / bolt head! Looking at the floor I would guess 1/4 quart in 30 seconds. The guy who built the motor claimed high oil pressure - I guess he wasn't kidding!

Measure that.  60 psi is all you need.  Much more, and you just have more problems.

I've never seen oil squirt out of there.  Drip, yes...  

Sure it's not cracked?

t

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

That is indeed the culprit.

Mating surfaces must be clean and straight. Do not use sealant. Torque the larger bolts first, the small bolt with sealing washer last.

As Son-of-Marty pointed out, make sure the short bolt is the proper length. Too long and it will hit the head bolt and not seal.

Is this how your engine rebuilder assembled your head????

John

That is a funny gasket, the way they made it bigger than both mating surfaces.  I heated/bent the tip of an X-acto knife so I could trim mine back with the gasket in place.  It'd be a little easier to do that before it is installed... if you're so inclined.

image.thumb.jpeg.63580282f0dc404feaf410351479a197.jpeg

That photo is from when I recently knocked the sharp edge off of the chamfered hole for the distributor, so it slips in without hanging up on the rubber O-ring.

Tom

Now THAT would... squirt.

I'd guess installation error.  Or just bad luck.

That gasket can go on dry, but I use a gasket

dressing around the 2 pressurized holes, as I have

had some oil seepage through the end- grain of 

the gasket.  As I do where paper meets water. 

It seems to help.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

So I noticed a hairline crack in the corner. I am not sure if it was the cause of the original, less severe leak that I aggravated by overtightening or if I created it trying to address the first leak. Either way when I put a dowel in the hole and wiggled it to discern if crack or shadow I found out.

Anyone got a one piece version of this that is for sale?!

To answer the question "is that how the engine was assembled - I don't know. The RTV is but the pinched gasket may have been me tightening the bolts too much when I was trying to stop the leak.

b.jpg