• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cup holder an imperative?

tech71

I made 16 of these and gave them away as door prizes at the Mid-American fest…

495B9BEF-31A4-4577-A8B4-4B12642A1C4A.jpeg

Edited by BarneyT
  • Like 5

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

I did patina handle for the front but it is way too big for a can so I went with kooglewerks on the transmission hump behind the parking brake.  Cheaper too than the console version and more easily accessed in my view.  

I see the cup holder issue come up frequently in certain classic car circles. How is the supposed European disdain for cup holders reconciled with the ash trays and cigarette lighters?  Is it inherently more safe to have a burning wad of paper and tobacco in your mouth or hand?  And is lighting it and keeping it lit and tipping off the ashes etc etc etc more safe than coffee or iced tea or Diet Coke?  Seems like this is due to a cultural viewpoint not an inherently safety or driver focused viewpoint.  Of course one could say that ash trays and lighters are to be used only when parked.  But I guess that same argument works with cup holders.  

Edited by Marsattacks
  • Like 1

Mars Attacks!

marsattacks.jpg

On 5/24/2022 at 12:50 AM, Mike Self said:

Drive, don't drink--at least not simultaneously.  

Having to manage a drink--even in a cupholder--is almost akin to texting while driving in terms of potential distraction.  In a situation where you have to make a sudden maneuver--like suddenly having to swerve or stop, you're gonna instinctively reach for that cup to keep it from tipping out of the cupholder, or sloshing on your nice clean seats and carpets...and now you're (1) distracted and (2) have only one hand on the wheel.  Not a good recipe for accident avoidance.

It took BMW many years, and basket-loads of whining from their American customers--to grudgingly put cup holders in their cars.  There's a reason for that:  in Germany, driving is SERIOUS BUSINESS...

IMHO

mike

PS...yeah, I know I'm preaching but like your dad said, "it's for your own good."

The 19 year old me, curious about the autobahn experience, asked the German couple I bought my 02 from what driving on the autobahn was like.  I asked, “are there many crashes?”

”You only crash once” was the answer.  

Scott

• Like 1

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

1 hour ago, visionaut said:

My favorite cup holder is articulated for g-forces, and sits belted in next to me…  ?

Bet that cup holder even issues a warning when spirited driving becomes too spirited.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, saaron said:

The best 02 cup holder is the Randy Anderson cup holder.  I have one.  One of my prized possessions.  

Scott

The holders I made were copies of Randy Anderson’s design…with a little enlargement to allow cup hole to be larger…I got tired of moving the one made by Randy I had won at Mid American a few years back from car to car…

• Like 2

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

1 hour ago, jimk said:

Bet that cup holder even issues a warning when spirited driving becomes too spirited.

Roger that, Jim.  I believe mine also has the advanced Pain Delay feature, should spillage ever occur.  lol

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com