• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st paint shop job

Mars55

22 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

I didn't realize the factory mixed two and four door cars together

Might explain why some 02's were painted in non 02 colors. 

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

3 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Interesting that the picture shows an NK sedan in the foreground--I didn't realize the factory mixed two and four door cars together on the assembly line.  

mike

I think that's an E3.  Still a four door though...

I went through the same thing.  To top it off, it was during the chip shortage and the rental companies that kept the body shop's lights on were repairing cars that would have gone to auction.  But at the end of the day, I was very happy with the work done.  Hope to finish re-assembly in a couple of weeks.

bmw side 3-8-22.jpg

• Like 2

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

I went through this a few years ago.  The shop I used transitioned from a custom shop to an insurance shop during the process, so my car only received attention during lulls in the insurance work.  I completely stripped it down to the shell and it did need some metal work on the lower front valence and rear quarter windows, but it took 18 months to complete.  When it came time to pick the color, I did consider Florida, but was not impressed with the spray out in PPG for that Code.  It just didn't look right.  I ended up going with the original color, Nevada and spent the extra cash to upgrade to Glasurit paint, (mainly because Nevada isn't available in anything but Glasurit).  If you go with Florida, I would highly recommend you look into getting Glasurit in that Code over PPG.  I think you can get Florida in their more reasonable 22 and 90 Lines (Nevada was only available in the 55 Line).

Mark92131

2020-05-27 09.06.42.jpg

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3102.JPG

• Like 5

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

On 3/7/2022 at 11:22 AM, Mars55 said:

It’s a driver

In that case remove the chrome beltline trim and replace it with the 8mm 3M stick-on stuff after it's painted! Also trash the dumb side reflectors/markers and have those holes filled painted.  Take the glass out and do the headliner at the same time.  I stopped my scope-creep at the headliner as it was/is OK, but in hindsight I wish I hadn't ?

Some points not covered in the excellent comments above, based on my experience a  few years ago:

- find out if they’ve ever done a 2002. My painter, while good, was a British car guy and missed a few details;

- if it’s non-sunroof, be sure the headliner installation includes the vent panel above the rear window. Mine was forgotten;

- find out if they will rub down with scotch Britt pads or other abrasive before the clear coat, to eliminate nubs.

- does final price include cut or color sand/polish. I was quoted  almost $1K for that alone, lol . Understand how many coats of color and clear will be shot. My feeling was more than 4-5 coats of good clear

- as implied above, the more you pay, the more you will suffer regrets over stone chip and other minor damage, e.g., will you want to park in a shopping center or will be limited to only going to car shows.

• Like 2

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911