• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exploding door locks and other fun

tdskip

Ha! My sense is that is definitely not as intended.

The whole door mechanism is messed up so I’m assuming this is a good time for me to pull the interior door panel off and see why my push the release button isn’t working?

are there easy to swap out lock barrels readily available or am I looking at replacing the whole door handle mechanism?

Thanks!

Not meaning to sound like a broken record, but I did a column on repairing door locks; PM me if you'd like a copy.  

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Consider finding a good used complete door handle, and having it re-keyed to match your ignition and passenger side. Whoever re-keys it should get the internals de-gunked and lubed in the process. I had a set done by a locksmith in Berkeley on University Ave - I think they were called Longs. Maybe there is a good locksmith that specializes in automotive locks & keys in your area? Worth a shot.

Edited by golf73

8 hours ago, tdskip said:

. @Mike Self - sorry I missed that, thanks for pointing it out. Will give it a read, appreciate you writing that up.

The column you seek is in the August 2006 BMW CCA Roundel.  It also covers repairing jammed ignition switches, and how to re-key door locks so they will use the same key as the ignition.  If you don't have that issue, PM me.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

27 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

The column you seek is in the August 2006 BMW CCA Roundel.  It also covers repairing jammed ignition switches, and how to re-key door locks so they will use the same key as the ignition.  If you don't have that issue, PM me.

mike

Mike it's always so nice of you to offer to send people your past Roundel columns. But, is there a reason you don't just upload them here on the FAQ? Legal reasons? You should add them to the Technical Articles section, IMO...