• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield Washer Pump and Relay Replacement

AG2002

Hello All,

I am trying to install a new windshield washer pump and replace my old tin can relay. I need help on the wiring of this. I found bits and pieces but cant put it together.

My new pump is below and has 2 terminals (which I assume is + and -).

The old relay has only 3 terminals which look like Green, Orange, and Blue/Black. I cant read anything on the relay body.

I am thinking of buying this generic delay relay, which has a 30, 85, 86+, 87 and 87a terminal.

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-10-Second-Module-Automotive-Lighting/dp/B0779LN147/ref=sr_1_3

Photo below.

The wipers are working, but when I pulled the washer stalk back the wipers just kept going and never stopped. So I assume the delay relay is bad.

So how do I wire this all up??

From the diagram I have below (20 is the washer pump, 21 is the wiper motor). The relay 24 looks like it has 3 terminals (hard to read) 31b, 15, and M???. With BR (brown) from fusebox & - on pump  to 31b, GN (green) from motor & + from pump to 15, and SW (black) to M.

But the problem is I done see any Brown wires, and not sure how 31b, 15 and M map to 30, 85, 86+, 87.

Any help would be appreciated. As you can see I am trying to learn how to read these diagrams and what relay terminal number mean. 

Thanks,

AG

92862807401__76331.1429634199.500.659.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

NewRelya.png

IMG_2714.PNG

If the problem is the pump, it may be reparable; PM me for a column I did on the subject.  

If the problem is with the relay, a fellow 02er (Dave Hoovler) found a solid state delay relay that is a perfect replacement for the thermo-electric relay (silver can) that was used on the pre-modell71 cars.  It was used on Chrysler products from the late 1960s until the late 1990s. They're used to keep on certain interior lights, especially a light or glowing ring around the ignition switch, for a few seconds after the doors were closed. Like the 2002 relay, it is electromagnetic using a bimetallic strip. Digging up some Mopar wiring diagrams online, I found that the three terminals seemed to be identical in function to those on the 2002 washer relay: switched ground, 12v power, and output to the lights (Chrysler) or wiper motor (BMW)  and is easily available.  Even better, it's small enough to hide inside the original delay relay housing to continue the stock look.  

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Just make sure you determine the + and - leads so the pump will suck instead of blow bubbles...

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Here's the wiring sketch for a late model ('76).  Should be similar to others.

My washer pump stopped working at 15,100 miles. The dealer said it was past the warranty (12k miles) and sold me a new one for $24. I took the original pump apart and found it was just loaded with debris.  Hey, 24 bucks was huge back in those days!

Fuse #5          Wiper System.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mike Self said:

If the problem is the pump, it may be reparable; PM me for a column I did on the subject.  

If the problem is with the relay, a fellow 02er (Dave Hoovler) found a solid state delay relay that is a perfect replacement for the thermo-electric relay (silver can) that was used on the pre-modell71 cars.  It was used on Chrysler products from the late 1960s until the late 1990s. They're used to keep on certain interior lights, especially a light or glowing ring around the ignition switch, for a few seconds after the doors were closed. Like the 2002 relay, it is electromagnetic using a bimetallic strip. Digging up some Mopar wiring diagrams online, I found that the three terminals seemed to be identical in function to those on the 2002 washer relay: switched ground, 12v power, and output to the lights (Chrysler) or wiper motor (BMW)  and is easily available.  Even better, it's small enough to hide inside the original delay relay housing to continue the stock look.  

cheers

mike

Any details available about the sold state delay relay, #'s, etc?

Thanks

Dennis

Thanks, Mark! I spotted the thread earlier and had planned to reply after I'd dug around to find that thread. 

I remain a little uncertain about the current capacity of the Chrysler relay, but it has been working fine for the past two years and shouldn't ever be used continuously anyway. The timing is a bit different than the factory BMW part (it allows a few more swipes of the wipers, if I recall correctly), but it's close enough to work well for the application. 

It should probably also be noted that early cars have a very different wiper system from later ones, and this is for the early style. I think the changeover happened with the Model 71 revisions. 

-David

• Like 1

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

23 hours ago, AG2002 said:

Thanks guys, the pump is MISSING!! So I had to get a new one.

Now just need to wire it up.

AG

If this is the case, why worry about replacing the relay? FYI, when I replaced mine after a failed attempt at tearing my old one apart to repair it, I seem to remember the bracket on the replacement pump was different orientation than that of the stock 2002 style, since I believe the replacement part was really made for a different car (VW/Audi I think). So, you *might* need to actually use an original bracket - could have sworn that's what I did -

Edited by golf73

8 hours ago, Pdxguy said:

Any details available about the sold state delay relay, #'s, etc?

I don't have a part number, but here's a picture of the MOPAR relay (left) alongside the OEM one.  I looked on the Rock Auto web site for an ignition switch  delay relay for a '79 Dodge Magnum and came up with this part number: WVE 1R1158.  The picture on the Rock Auto site matches this picture, so it's probably the same part.  The price on the Rock Auto site was $12 and change.

image.png

• Like 1