• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

two carbs or not two carbs...

norrinradd

Pull the cap and snap of photo of what's underneath and post it here.  Like Toby, I'm pretty sure its a Pertonix under the cap based on the wires, but lets make sure before you start plugging wires in.  

2 hours ago, norrinradd said:

Metered 7 on the ohmmeter so I guess I'm good to go !

It seems like you may have measured the secondary resistance, as opposed to the primary.
If so, that was 7000 ohms.

Did you measure between the two small posts on the coil (+/-)?   ((primary))

Did you zero-out your meter before testing?  It takes a fairly sensitive tester to read the primary resistance accurately.

The red coil requires a ballast resistor to bring it up to 3 ohms.

IE distributors don't come with Pertronix installed, but theirs need 3 ohms of resistance as well.  Too little resistance and you will fry it.  They're delicate.

Tom

Oh, sorry.  It looked like an IE distributor and they also refer to theirs as a Tii distributor.

https://www.racetep.com/automaker/bmw/distributorless-ignition-systems-and-itb-efi-kits/tii-mechanical-advance-distributor-with-electronic-ignitor.html

This is a brand new Tii-style mechanical-advance distributor, made exclusively for us. This distributor comes with an electronic ignitor points-replacement kit pre-installed (similar to a Pertronix). Comes with a cap, but the name-brand Bosch cap is optional. Great upgrade for your 2002's worn out distributor. Includes instructions (An adjustable timing light highly recommended).

I agree with the last line of their description.

On 8/8/2021 at 2:09 PM, norrinradd said:

I switched to a Ti dizz and red coil.

7 ohms of resistance for a red coil doesn't sound right, but then again, I am assuming you have a Bosch red coil.

Tom

There is a photo of the Bosch red coil on the Racetep site and the label says use with 1.8ohm external resistor, or electronic (something).  I thought the red coil had 1.2 ohms of resistance and the 1.8 was to bring it up to 3.  Hence, my confusion.

Tom

EDIT:

https://www.racetep.com/2002-ignition-systems-and-conversions/bosch-red-coil.html

Edited by '76mintgrün'02

Yeah, 7 ohm primary seems REALLY high-

I think a phone call's a good idea.

Then if something blows up, TEP can send you a new one.

It sounds like you metered it correctly- the only cross- check would

be to make sure the meter zeros (reads within .2 of an ohm when you 

meter the same post with both probes) and that it's not showing

a battery indicator.

odd.

Curious what TEP says.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Well, the carbs are on. There's the good news. The bad is that the starter won't turn. Metered everything and 12v everywhere it needs to be. Tried jumping contacts on solenoid even, nothing. Got a new starter. Nothing. Got another one ( exchanged ). Nothing.  Tried jump starting from a running car. Nothing. A  Bosch sr71x ( small ) arrived today and installed . Nothing. So, four starters down. Maybe it's not the starter ! When you guys get done chuckling, can you tell me what I need to do ? Thanks !

How is the block to chassis/battery ground wire good and clean and the same size as the 12v input to the starter. also what year is your car and was it originally a automatic? There are various lock out used in some cars. 

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Block to chassis ground cleaned and shiny. Wire gauge is same for pos and neg. Car is a 72 and don't believe it was auto. Seat belt clips to a metal ring behind E-brake lever. I don't see any wires to indicate a seat belt kill switch...  New coil and dist was installed with the carbs but that shouldn't interfere with starter turning...

Have you bench tested the starter / solenoid, can you hear it do anything, wire the starter up separately out of the car see if you can make it function, at least you’d know if it’s good then, or not. They are simple cars, just as well … I work on mine!

• Like 1