• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did Hardy & Beck start making their 3-piece wheels?

mccusername

It's a good question - Rocker Arms that is.  In that '81 catalog I have, they have all sorts of engine bits offered (cams, valve springs and pistons) but no mention of Rocker Arms.  No idea.  Alpina had the same offering (rocker arms) - I can say I have never seen of those either.  Unless somehow they cast their log into the body of the thing or that it was clearly made from a different material than the factory version, I don't know how you would know.....assuming its an alloy rocker.  Probably not out of the realm of possibility that it was an offer that Alpina was making, so they would offer something similar under their brand.  Has a familiar ring to it really.

11 hours ago, mccusername said:

OK, after waiting forever for one of you guys to come through, I found this Hardy & Beck ad for 3-piece wheels in the November 1979 Roundel.

It's the earliest one I've seen so far and it does call them "new". Sorry for the bad scan.

Scannable Document on Apr 14, 2021 at 9_31_32 PM.png

And 20-spoke, Michael, so consistent with Mark’s earlier comments. Nice sleuthing on both this image and the June 1979 Roundel story: pretty good payoff for having to do all that work, in those dusty Roundels! ?

(That 7-15-96 casting date appears to be “cast” rather than “engraved”, not that this matters to anyone — except moi! ?)

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I started my freshman year at UC Berkeley in 1979 so not too far from Hardy & Beck in the early days.  The first car I owned, a manilla 1969 2002 was originally owned by Alan Hardy.  I would go down there here and there to pick up parts (small sh&t because that was all I could afford), and oogle over the gear in their parts department.  They still did have a fair amount of Alpina gear - I still do recall a set of 3-piece Alpina's they were offing for 1500 bucks, but then the display cases had Alpina A4 throttles, air boxes, cams, pistons - candy store for a bmw enthusiast.  They had a bunch of e-21 323i's that had been completely done up with wheels, suspension, graphics, scheel seats etc.,  Huge dollars back then.  Makes me wonder what happend to them all?

• Like 6

I’ve been told by my father is that before opening the doors of Hardy&Beck with Hans Beck in 1974 Hans worked for Harry Weber at his dealership in San Leandro and Alan worked on BMWs out of his driveway on Grizzly Peak Blvd in Berkeley. My dad worked for Pac Bell and put a phone system in Alan’s house back then.

Perhaps @jdb has some recollection of when Hardy&Beck started doing wheels of their own, and or other cool stories of H&B.

• Like 4

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

(That 7-15-96 casting date appears to be “cast” rather than “engraved”, not that this matters to anyone — except moi! ?)

Et moi aussi!

I had thought that someone put that date on them at some later time, but the fact that they are cast means... nyet.

Just weird that I have never seen another set with a date like that.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mccusername said:

... Just weird that I have never seen another set with a date like that.

It may only be an addition to later rims, e.g., after 1990, after 1995, or whatever. Over time, there is an ever-increasing demand for more data cast onto rims — among many parts — allowing better tracking in the instance of failure.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

3 hours ago, markmac said:

In that '81 catalog I have, they have all sorts of engine bits offered (cams, valve springs and pistons) but no mention of Rocker Arms. 

Yes, I wonder if they ever actually made them. My car had two engine rebuilds by Hardy & Beck in '78 and '88 and came with receipts (thanks Jason!) and I don't seen any mention of special H&B rockers. Most of the special stuff is Alpina-- in fact they still used Alpina pistons in '88.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Conserv said:

It may only be an addition to later rims, e.g., after 1990, after 1995, or whatever.

Yes, I have now seen another set like mine with the same date cast into them. They must have done another run of them at that time.