• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did Hardy & Beck start making their 3-piece wheels?

mccusername

Not 100% on this but sometime around 1979(?).  I have some old catalogues from that era, Prior to that they were AlpinA/West and were selling Alpina parts.....a couple of years later they were producing 'their own'.  In some cases, in the case of wheels, strikingly similar to their AlpinA counterparts.....they were very expensive even then, $425/ea.  Those wheels did morph in design, quantity of spokes 20----->16 and spoke design.  There has been a set on Ebay with an ask of $3500 for the complete set and I want to say those were 6x15 and 6.5x15.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, markmac said:

Not 100% on this but sometime around 1979(?). 

I have a photo of them from 1982 but I'm sure H&B made them before that. I would love to get some 'proof'.

I finally got some H&B wheels for my H&B car and I'm trying to figure out if they are period correct for 1977-78 when most of the work was done on the car.

• Like 1

Proof?  Proof??  Proof???  Here you go.

I am going to say 1980 or 1981 at the latest, I would say the 1981 catalog would be the 'proof' you are looking for.  I may have something earlier but (don't care enough to look further......).

The Roundel article is from 1979, they were using staggered 1 piece Alpina's on that car with P7's.  The "H&B 2oo2" photo is either from '80 or '81 where they swapped the Alpina's for their own wheels.

Here you go, thirty five hundred bucks.  I would guess these are coming from H&B, oddly enough the seller is located in Berkeley, CA - a little coincidental I think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-to-1974-bmw-2002-wheels/233577919616?_trkparms=aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201018205123%26meid%3D04c97cf586a94e48be3e0a8b96237958%26pid%3D101286%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dnone%26itm%3D233577919616%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26algv%3DWatchlistVariantWithMLR%26brand%3DAMP&_trksid=p2380057.c101286.m47999&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac0463fc7-9d91-11eb-9688-eacfad36b305|parentrq%3Ad35863ed1780a12b7cfde34dffea91be|iid%3A1

H&B2002.1_Page_1.jpg

H&B2002.1_Page_4.jpg

h&Bcat1981_Page_1.png

• Like 3

Earlier wheels were 20 spoke, so if yours are 16 then they are later,  no idea when they made that change, the earlier ones also had some different spoke design (Coastal Crush has those....but not all were like that).  Google Hard & Beck three 3 piece wheels or some such and study the images.

12 minutes ago, markmac said:

I may have something earlier but (don't care enough to look further......).

Why must you be so mean when you're being nice?! ?

Thanks for the price list, very cool. My H&B car (formerly @JsnPpp's car) came with some similar documents but it was built a little earlier so the "H&B Chassis Set" was still an "Alpina Chassis Set." You can see why Alpina got a little irritated with them.

Those H&B wheels on Ebay seem to be from a later run. They say "H&B" on the centers and not "Hardy & Beck".

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, markmac said:

Earlier wheels were 20 spoke, so if yours are 16 then they are later,

Mine do have 16 spokes, so they are later-- but they say "Hardy & Beck" and not "H&B" so I would think they pre-date the break-up.

But... they have "7-15-96" engraved on the centers, which A, I have not ever seen before and B, I think is after Beck left. 

IMG_3654.jpg

Edited by mccusername

12 minutes ago, mccusername said:

You can see why Alpina got a little irritated with them.

As the story allegedly goes, Burkard Bovensiepen was in the Bay Area on his way to wine country and stopped in to check out his west coast distributor, only to find has gear lined up next to the hardy & beck parts (especially the wheels), selling both against each other from the same shop......game over.  Dietel Enterprises became the west coast distributor sown in Mission Viejo, Miller & Norburn remained the east coast distributor.

• Like 2