• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/C recommendations

Dougie

When using the vendors output/sizing you'd be better off going a bit oversized due to the large amount of glass in a 02

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

The fact is that you can choose to use two separate systems designed 50 years ago or modern technology.  Electoservo controls. Blended systems where you can defrost your windscreen with dry cool air.  Send cool air to your feet, or face or screen. No one would ever design what these cars have nowadays. You can also plumb the vents into any of the dealer installed center console faceplates if you want so I am not clear why you can't use an original.  The blower moves twice the air and the evaporator and heater core are new.  When you add up all of the costs of rebuilding a heater box with motors, the little radiator and the rebuild kit for the stuck valve, plus the costs of rebuilding your ancient Frigiking or Behr system it's not even much more money.
For me, despite the effort to do the fabrication it's is not even a consideration to restore what I had.   

• Like 2

The comment on addressing the greenhouse glass and heat load is valid. But a very worthwhile thing to do (common on 911's) is the use a ceramic window tint on every window. It eliminates 75% of the UV load and heat soak that you get. It is also not a noticeable tint. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rudy, please keep us posted on your progress. 

Also provide your shipping address and I'll send my car up. You can do two at once!

;-)

BTW I don't recall if it were mentioned in this thread about the smaller clearance hose connectors... this link or nearabouts.... 

WWW.EATONPOWERSOURCE.COM

Cheers,

• Like 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I am going to go the route of window tint that blocks UV/IR. Just installed Huper Optik on my Audi and it looks and works great. 

Huper also makes a clear ceramic that cuts UV/IR that you can put on the windshield.  I will install it on the windshield and darker on my side and rear windows on my 02 when I get it back.  Hoping it cools down the greenhouse and lets my ICEAir keep up. 

• Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

4 hours ago, ray_ said:

I hear that system is really hard on ignition switches.

😁😁😁😁😜

Getting that prehistoric bracket on simultaneously the compressor was hard on my knuckles!

• Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

• 4 weeks later...

Always a fascinating topic to keep tabs on.  Please pardon the shameless plug, but just trying to help some folks out rather than cling to my own stockpile of parts.  If anyone is looking for Behr evap/console components (or even a compressor bracket), check out the link below:

• Like 1

Adding one more shameless plug to a very good thread

I am taking over the production and sales of the hobiedave AC bracket from the originator Dave Donoghue and hope to have a website for direct click thru sales in about a month or two The website will be : hobiedaveacbracket.com  when it goes live  

• Like 15

13 hours ago, rstclark said:

hobiedave AC bracket from the originator Dave Donoghue and hope to have a website for direct click thru sales in about a month or two The website will be : hobiedaveacbracket.com  when it goes live  

Really looks like the best M10 compressor bracket 👍

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

After going thru an extensive ac upgrade on my 73tii, there are some things everyone should be aware of:

1) New, parallel flow condensers will block more air used to cool an engine radiator. My engine temps were higher after installing a 10x18 condenser, even on a relatively cool day.  My engine already had a 71 degree C thermostat, new water pump PLUS a new Walloth Nesch HF 3 row radiator.  

2). Using the condenser fan (like a 12” Spal) for cooling the radiator (in my case) did not work effectively enough after I removed the stock 5 blade mechanical fan.  I added it back to the engine which provided enough air to keep engine temps in line.

3) Use reduced barrier (RB) ac hoses for easier routing, especially in the cabin and nose areas.  When using a crimping tool, you must crimp the RB fittings MORE than the instructions say, or else you may have leaks. BTDT.  Standard thickness hoses are more forgiving for leaks due to the extra material.

4). Bypass the original relay in the Behr system that prevents the ac from turning on if the heater blower is on. Too much confusion for what should be a simple circuit.

5) Wire in a manual toggle switch for the condenser fan to activate it as required (supplements the stock mechanical fan for hot days).

6) Add a relay with in line fuse for the ac compressor instead of relying on the old switches which may have a large voltage drop. I mounted a relay next to the Spal condenser fan relay on the right inner fender.

7) Move the AC charge point fittings away from the compressor and exhaust manifold.  There are quite a few options for fittings.

8). Source some copper flare washers for use at the original evaporator and expansion valve.  Contrary to the published Behr documentation, the small fitting on the evaporator valve is different than listed.  Gasket 5 says 7/16” washer. It is actually 1/4”.

9) A new ac temperature switch is cheap. I sourced a new one via Amazon for less than $9. UAC brand p/n SW6490C.  It doesn’t come with a knob, but you can press your old one on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

12 hours ago, jgerock said:

6) Add a relay with in line fuse for the ac compressor instead of relying on the old switches which may have a large voltage drop. I mounted a relay next to the Spal condenser fan relay on the right inner fender.

@jgerock

Do you know which relay you used?  Any recommendations?

Thanks

Murph

12 hours ago, MurphinDC said:

@jgerock

Do you know which relay you used?  Any recommendations?

Thanks

Murph

A normally open type relay. 4 wire type. Sourced mine on Amazon.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"