• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/C recommendations

Dougie

? Things are heating up here in Texas and i want to install an after market A/C unit. Looking to get a/c recommendations as too the brand that blows the coldest, installation tips etc. All responses will be appreciated.

• Like 1

Dougie where are you located in Texas? You have 4 choices

Dtech / ice AC sell complete kits for about $2500-$3000. Good all round option but expensive.

Find an original Behr or Clady center console and then you can assemble the rest of the kit from modern parts all for around $1000. Looks the best but not the best performer. Find a good condition original AC console is tough!

Buy a $100 aftermarket universal AC console + $300 in other parts and force it to fit into your car and probably have to build a custom  center console around it. It won't look great but it will work well. 

Get a Hurricane or maybe a mini cool aftermarket evap and try and stuff it behind stock console. Definitely needs some custom work and probably have to remove the heater to make it all fit.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/articles/technical-articles/body-and-interior/air-conditioning-basics-r126/

Edited by Stevenc22
  • Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

But, first, buy a copy of Rob Siegel’s Just Needs a Recharge. And read it! Then decide how you wish to approach the project. You will be glad you did!

Besides his regular articles in publications such as the BMW CCA Roundel, Rob is a serial ‘02 owner and has been doing this stuff forever — he just looks young!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Stevenc22 said:

Dtech / ice AC sell complete kits for about $2500-$3000. Good all round option but expensive.

Find an original Behr or Clady center console and then you can assemble the rest of the kit from modern parts all for around $1000. Looks the best but not the best performer. Find a good condition original AC console is tough!

Buy a $100 aftermarket universal AC console + $300 in other parts and force it to fit into your car and probably have to build a custom  center console around it. It won't look great but it will work well. 

Get a Hurricane or maybe a mini cool aftermarket evap and try and stuff it behind stock console. Definitely needs some custom work and probably have to remove the heater to make it all fit.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/articles/technical-articles/body-and-interior/air-conditioning-basics-r126/

Hey,Steve

I live in the Austin area. Not looking to do any of the work myself. We wouldn’t mind spending a day or 2 in H-town to have it installed down there if you know some garage that has experience installing these. I here y’all have some pretty good restaurants in H-town!

Thanks for your reply,

Doug 

My 76 2002 purchased a year ago came with a Behr system. A mess. The face plate had a black plate instead of the ashtray, extra buttons, etc. Behind it was worse. 

Fortunately a guy I met only recently has been working exclusively on 02s for 40 years. He sourced the parts, cleaned up the mess, and now I have the original face plate/ashtray and a modern system that will freeze my knuckles in our Phila PA humid, torrid summers.  Temps in the mid 90s and humidity to match.

I like the appearance of the Behr unit. It looks "factory" to me with the chrome ringed ashtray. But most important - it really cools the cabin.

Finally, find someone who knows their way around 02s in general and the ac units in particular. Worth extending your search to another city if necessary.

I know others here have not had the same experience so realize this was my experience.

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

you have 5 choices.

5/ buy hack's book.  get depressed realizing what a pita it is to put an anemic ac system in a 2002, then go buy a newer fun car with working AC for the hot season....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2xM3

1 hour ago, bavariaboy said:

Fortunately a guy I met only recently has been working exclusively on 02s for 40 years. He sourced the parts, cleaned up the mess, and now I have the original face plate/ashtray and a modern system that will freeze my knuckles in our Phila PA humid, torrid summers.  Temps in the mid 90s and humidity to match.

My 73 restoration will have the Behr unit for that reason.  What parts did yours get?  Right now, I have a very good console with a NOS front plate that I did not hesitate to get from Maximillian 3 years ago.  The Evaporator/Blower are Behr, the Condenser I have is a modern parallel flow, I have a rotary compressor with a Hobie Dave mount.  The fan I will use is a SPAL.   Did you do anything different? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

ice AC sell complete kits for about $2500-$3000. Good all round option but expensive.

Why make life harder than it needs to be, buy a NEW ICEAC/Clardy kit ($1950), the kit is all inclusive as well as New. with a proper install it'll blow under 30'. 

One Modification I suggest is a compressor cut out switch so you can run the cabin fan without the compressor 

and Maybe the Kooglewerks face for gauges and Cool looking 

IMG_3002.JPG

IMG_3008.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

See how here:

Summer-Izing for Hot SoCal with A/C - Pic Heavy - BMW 2002 and other '02 - BMW 2002 FAQ

• Like 3

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

6 hours ago, chargin said:

Why make life harder than it needs to be, buy a NEW ICEAC/Clardy kit ($1950), the kit is all inclusive as well as New. with a proper install it'll blow under 30'. 

One Modification I suggest is a compressor cut out switch so you can run the cabin fan without the compressor 

and Maybe the Kooglewerks face for gauges and Cool looking 

IMG_3002.JPG

IMG_3008.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

See how here:

Summer-Izing for Hot SoCal with A/C - Pic Heavy - BMW 2002 and other '02 - BMW 2002 FAQ

As a proponent of A/C, I think this is a great solution. I went with a Frigiking face  for a stock look (and modern components), but the utility of the Kooglewerks option PLUS cupholders is pretty dang great. AND it works adequately enough during the hottest days. 

IMG_2591.JPG

• Like 1

I have a Behr in-car system (original evaporator and blower) with modern parallel flow condenser, sanden compressor, and SPAL fan, and it blows less than 32 degree air. I can cool me and my son with a vent each, and can actually get too cold down here in Florida with both vents turned toward me.

My observation though: If I take off from the garage or a covered parking spot, I am cool in any weather, but if the car has been parked in the sun, it takes a good while to cool down and I end up with vintage car back sweat. My commute is surface roads, 5 miles, for reference.

Bottom line, way better than nothing, and way better than windows down in humid weather, but it has limitations. My 67 Galaxie is the only classic car that I've ever been in that has modern feel AC, but it has a lot of room for big components and a big blower.

• Like 2

'74 2002Tii Sienabraun: Henrik

'67 Ford Galaxie 500: Grandpa

8 minutes ago, xavier296 said:

I have a Behr in-car system (original evaporator and blower) with modern parallel flow condenser, sanden compressor, and SPAL fan, and it blows less than 32 degree air. I can cool me and my son with a vent each, and can actually get too cold down here in Florida with both vents turned toward me.

My observation though: If I take off from the garage or a covered parking spot, I am cool in any weather, but if the car has been parked in the sun, it takes a good while to cool down and I end up with vintage car back sweat. My commute is surface roads, 5 miles, for reference.

Bottom line, way better than nothing, and way better than windows down in humid weather, but it has limitations. My 67 Galaxie is the only classic car that I've ever been in that has modern feel AC, but it has a lot of room for big components and a big blower.

Well-said! Beautifully sums up my 45 years with ‘02 A/C.

And, yes, “vintage car” and “back sweat” go together like peanut butter and jelly... at least for European vintage cars. What pissed me off in 1976 was that the dealer wanted $800 to install Behr A/C in my new ‘02, with its well-known limitations, at a time when A/C was a $350 option on domestic cars, and you could hang meat in those cars.

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

16 hours ago, Conserv said:

Rob Siegel’s Just Needs a Recharge.

+1 on Rob Siegel's book...I'm halfway through it and it's excellent and insightful.  Will finish it before I start the rehab of my Clardy system in the next few weeks

• Thanks 1

I don't know what parts my guy replaced. I do know that whatever he did it was the way to go. Sorry I know no more.

I find that cracking a window about an inch and opening the wing window will suck some of the hot air out of the car and add more cold to the mix when the car is moving. But you probably know that. . Works when I have to get into a hot car standing for a long time. This summer I am going to use the fabric winter snow shade. It attaches to the side mirrors, takes seconds to mount and cuts a lot of rays. 

Steve, the dealer's $800 install price was adhering to the spirit of Max Hoffman.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 years later...
On 4/14/2021 at 6:47 AM, xavier296 said:

mind if I ask if you still had the link or part # to the parallel condenser and spal you used? Im probaly gonna go this way, tia