• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front running lights

2002kid

Check fuse 7 carefully (those fuses not only corrode, but actually wear out).  That fuse services only your left parking and tail light.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

Check fuse 7 carefully (those fuses not only corrode, but actually wear out).  That fuse services only your left parking and tail light.

mike

Just looks, it's blown! I think I have some replacements at home, I'll let you know if that fixes it. Thanks!

1 hour ago, 2002kid said:

Just looks, it's blown! I think I have some replacements at home, I'll let you know if that fixes it. Thanks!

If it blows again when you turn the lights on, you have a short somewhere--but since that fuse serves only those two bulbs, it should be easy to find.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 4/3/2021 at 8:32 PM, Mike Self said:

If it blows again when you turn the lights on, you have a short somewhere--but since that fuse serves only those two bulbs, it should be easy to find.

mike

I'm very new to electrics and the wiring on these cars, where would the ground be for the fuse?

13 minutes ago, 2002kid said:

Yeah it seems like a short, im going to bring it to my local mechanic

On 4/3/2021 at 5:32 PM, Mike Self said:

you have a short somewhere--but since that fuse serves only those two bulbs, it should be easy to find.

it should be easy to find.

it should be easy to find.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, 2002kid said:

Yeah it seems like a short, im going to bring it to my local mechanic

i should have elaborated, im very new to cars, and i really dont want to fry or screw up any electronics on this car (im 18). i would rather bring it to my friend who is a mechanic and can help me diagnose this. I checked the grounds that i could find and cleaned them, that didnt fix the problem. i took off the connections on the front and rear lights and made sure they were on right, that did nothing. i just want to play it safe and not make an expensive mistake. 

• Like 1

Hi 2002kid,

Fuses 7 & 8 are fairly easy...(only fuses 1 & 3 are easier!). 

Before you spend $$$ at a mechanic, check the following:

1) Left side (fuse #7). If it blows again, check the Grey/yellow wire to each bulb, especially the front lights. 

These tend to get pinched, corroded or loose in the light fixture.

2) Check rear light harness plug (in trunk). This also gets corrosion from moisture in the trunk.

3) Ditto for the Right side, but don't forget the rear side lights and license plate lights.

Good luck!  You can do it!!!   At 18, you have a lot of lives left to experiment with electricity!

Fuses 7 & 8.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John76 said:

Hi 2002kid,

Fuses 7 & 8 are fairly easy...(only fuses 1 & 3 are easier!). 

Before you spend $$$ at a mechanic, check the following:

1) Left side (fuse #7). If it blows again, check the Grey/yellow wire to each bulb, especially the front lights. 

These tend to get pinched, corroded or loose in the light fixture.

2) Check rear light harness plug (in trunk). This also gets corrosion from moisture in the trunk.

3) Ditto for the Right side, but don't forget the rear side lights and license plate lights.

Good luck!  You can do it!!!   At 18, you have a lot of lives left to experiment with electricity!

Fuses 7 & 8.jpg

Wow! Thankyou so much! I'll go through the car tomorrow and see if I can find anything out or order according to the diagram and what you advised. Thanks -kid

• 2 weeks later...

Good work, and isn't it amazing what you can tell by looking and paying attention? 

A word of advice - take the time to trace all the ground wires, the brown ones are always ground. Then clean and tighten anything that is loose or cruddy.  the BMW is known for sensitivity to weak grounds, and there are plenty on a 2002 (front turn signals especially).  After 50 years, you expect things to rattle and loosen and gather dirt and corrode a bit.

If you need anything related to lighting, I have plenty of experience with their workings, restoring and upgrading are my specialty. Advice is always free.

Andy

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.