• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any reason a M54 won’t fit?

Sharktrainer

M54 would not be my first choice for a few reasons, but since you have it already I assume that's what you're going to use. I strongly suggest you tear the engine down and replace the rings before you install it. The M54 uses low-tension rings which are problematic and can lead to very significant oil consumption. I believe the fix is to use M52 rings, but you should look further into it before proceeding. Be careful with the head bolts, which like to break off in the aluminum block. If head bolt threads are damaged a Time-Sert is the only thing that works to repair the hole. Once you've got it apart, you're basically doing a full rebuild, but you don't want to go to the trouble of having the thing pouring blue smoke once you start it up.

If you decide not to do any of this, I can at least point to you a simple mod I developed that will mitigate the oil consumption.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Lot of mid life "issues" that can plague an M54 engine and affect its performance and drivability.

CCV (crankcase ventilation) system and hoses under intake manifold, VANOS actuator, DISA flapper valve. Oil leaks at filter adapter and VANOS actuator oil hose.

Most if not all are far easier to deal with when the engine is sitting on a stand.

Good engines, I like them but they do require a good bit of maintenance that can be really a pain when they are stuffed in your X5 or E39. The CCV system is particularly a pain, have to remove the intake manifold. 

Helps if you are spry and acrobatic or possess superpowers like Reed Richards AKA MR. Fantasic?

Personally? In an 02 I would go for something more documented and less temperamental  like an M20 or just turbocharge an M10.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

The M5x's are long, and the transmissions are chubby.

The bellhousings are not tapered much on top:

all of this just means you get to rework your tunnel.

I have a few, one of which I want to put in an E30.

Here are the good things:  The E46M3 got the S54, which made well over 300 horsepowers.

But it is a high- maintenance beast.  

So:

The M54 can be had as a 3 liter, which makes in the 230s for both horsepowers and torques,

and it has an aluminum block, so even as gack- covered as it is, it's lightness is on the M20 scale.

(yes, if overheated, the threads in the aluminum pull out.  The bolts themselves aren't the problem)

The ECU is pretty well documented at this point ( https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title=Siemens_MS43 )

It's a very robust engine, and has an amazingly flat torque curve when all the -nosses and -isas are working.

Bad parts:  the low tension rings can lead to an oil drinker, as above.  Not guaranteed- maybe 1 in 4?

The plastics are legion- and not durable.

Don't overheat it (the plastics conspire against you, here)

The crankcase ventilation system was designed by a fired Audi hack.

This is a big hassle as installed in the original cars, but as a transplant, other BMW parts can be used

to solve the problems once and for all.

All of these things are fixable- and the winner right now is that the donor cars and parts are plentiful.

t

ask the man who owns 3

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

43 minutes ago, tech71 said:

The CCV system is particularly a pain, have to remove the intake manifold.

You don't. In the course of developing a mod/hack for the oil consumption issue, I pulled mine at least half a dozen times. I got to where I could do it by feel in 45 minutes. Air filter housing and elbow, junction box, throttle body, and out. It's a lousy system, though at least they came up with an updated the dipstick guide tube to one that doesn't instantly clog the CCV drain with emulsion, letting it back up into the valve.

If you run a search for "02Pilot mod" you'll find the CCV hack I came up with. Started in a thread on Bimmerforums, but it's repeated elsewhere.

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Yep, the ECU is wide open now, even if you want some pops.

Only particular maintenance on the s54 is valves at 30k.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want another one- fuck VANOS.  But I've had 3...

• Haha 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

oooh, I forgot the pops!

Problem is, it always pops at exactly the same times!

So it sounds like it's intentional...

t

oh, right.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

12 hours ago, TobyB said:

oooh, I forgot the pops!

t

oh, right.

My wife has a '14 STI, she feels cool driving it.  I keep teasing her that I'm going to put a pop-tune on it with a blow off valve.  She's over 50.

This guy put a duck call on his blow off valve...  If you're 12, it's really funny.  Maybe 13.

• Haha 2

Dave.

43 minutes ago, irdave said:

My wife has a '14 STI, she feels cool driving it.  I keep teasing her that I'm going to put a pop-tune on it with a blow off valve.  She's over 50.

We are older too and I put a Cobb tune on my wife's S3 no BOV but, in sport mode the exhaust note is killer. She loves it. I kind of wish I didn't because she can be a scary driver, lol..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

5 hours ago, evil02 said:

We are older too and I put a Cobb tune on my wife's S3 no BOV but, in sport mode the exhaust note is killer. She loves it. I kind of wish I didn't because she can be a scary driver, lol..

Completely why I have over gripped her car- Ohlins with sticky summer tires in the summer and down to 17" super crazy snow tires in the winter.  If she ever gets in over her head it will be just fine regardless of what she does.

And Valentine 1, because.

• Haha 2

Dave.