• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was 71 or 72 the First Year for the Seat Belt Warning

mreinsmith

IIRC the seat belt warning light appeared when inertia reel seat belts replaced the loop style (those with the chrome loop between the seats that the belts latched to).  The loop belts had no sensor or switch to turn the light on and off but the inertia reels did.  So whenever the inertia belts appeared, that's when the warning light appeared.  IIRC.  Anyone have a VIN for that?  REALOEM didn't help.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks Rick and Mike

So definitely in 71, cool

So was the seat strap sensor added at the same time? I'm assuming that was only used in the driver seat

(I have to lookup its real part name) 

This is all related to identifying seats, just when I think I've got it all figured out something else crops up ?

Thanks again

6 hours ago, Mike Self said:

IIRC the seat belt warning light appeared when inertia reel seat belts replaced the loop style (those with the chrome loop between the seats that the belts latched to).  The loop belts had no sensor or switch to turn the light on and off but the inertia reels did.  So whenever the inertia belts appeared, that's when the warning light appeared.  IIRC.  Anyone have a VIN for that?  REALOEM didn't help.

mike

Mike,

The inertia-reel seatbelts (initially by Autoflug) replaced the earlier style belts — with the common loop on the drivetrain — in anticipation of a January 1, 1972 deadline for improved seat belts. I don’t have VIN’s for the changeover, but it appears to have been November or December 1971.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

3 hours ago, mreinsmith said:

Thanks Rick and Mike

So definitely in 71, cool

So was the seat strap sensor added at the same time? I'm assuming that was only used in the driver seat

(I have to lookup its real part name) 

This is all related to identifying seats, just when I think I've got it all figured out something else crops up ?

Thanks again

If the seat under suspicion retains a sensor strip — sensor strips were found on passenger seats, too — the seat probably retains a manufacturing date card. It would generally be in the backrest. Remove six Phillips-head screws and lift off the back. Below (first photo) is the card from a seat manufactured June 20, 1972 (“20. 6. 72”), for VIN 2762204 (manufactured July 10, 1972).

There are other ways to date seats, particularly if they retain original upholstery. The style of the heat seats in the pleats changed in late 1971, at approximately the time that inerti-reel seat belts were introduced. The old style heat seam had a flat bottom with a single row of faux stitching molded in (second photo). The new style did away with the flat-bottomed heat seam and faux stitching (third photo). In the latter, which is also the later style, the vinyl’s perforations are more... continuous.

Are the recliners chromed or black splatter-painted? Do you know the VIN of the car from which they were removed — not that that proves they were original to that car?

Regards,

Steve

5541D1E2-994B-4764-896E-AE0718FCA4DB.jpeg

340F16BC-DC60-4222-AC48-FED7FCB3EEB2.jpeg

079E90CC-ED1E-4187-86F2-3BA2F0BBF68A.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Black hardware = 73 model year, likely late 72 mfg.

Stitching per @Conserv 73 model year. 

The answer regarding the recliners, however, is different for U.S. tii’s than it is for U.S. “non-tii’s.” All 1972 model U.S.-spec tii’s appear to have received chromed recliners, even though the switchover from chrome to black splatter-paint began during the 1971 model year for U.S. non-tii’s and Euro-spec cars regardless of sub-model. (My reports regarding Euro-spec tii’s are few and anecdotal, so I reserve some leeway regarding Euro-spec tii’s.) But if I’m looking at a U.S.-spec 1972 model non-tii, neither chromed nor black splatter-painted recliners surprises me. As Mike S. has amply pointed out, BMW was very good at using up old inventories!

The “later” style of vinyl — and your photo, although grainy suggests the later style — was used from late in the 1971 calendar year — meaning that early 1972 models used the “early” style — until the end of round taillight production in July 1973. Thus, most 1972 models and all 1973 models used the later style vinyl.

Next... headrests. The “tubular” style was used from just before January 1, 1969 (mandated by regulations, as were most headrest improvements) until early in the 1973 calendar year (first photo). The supports for these tubular headrests are 10 mm. in diameter. Supplanting the tubular headrest was the “eared” style of headrest, used from early in the 1973 calendar year through the end of ‘02 production (again, mandated by regulations). An example is shown in the second photo. The supports for these eared headrests are 12 mm. in diameter.

Finding the date card would be wonderful. But if it’s gone, we can come up with a pretty good date for your seats!

Regards,

Steve

0585A360-6148-4AA2-AE3A-953D4BB0F3E3.jpeg

A21712FD-4E1B-4837-B701-93F9992D344F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Both front seats had sensors.  Wiring connector for passenger seat is beside transmission tunnel.

And if you have a 72-73 roundie with these sensors and you keep blowing fuse 11, one of he sensors has shorted out.  That circuit isn't on the factory wiring diagram.

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

5 hours ago, mreinsmith said:

OK, here's a couple different shots because it's hard to make it out

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Sorry! F.S. Fehrer was a supplier of horsehair pads, and I’ve yet to read a date on their manufacturing slips. I was hoping there would be a tag from P.A.R.A. (P.A. Rentrop, AG), as below.

Suffice to say, the seats, with the later style vinyl and tubular headrests, date between late 1971 and early 1973.

Regards,

Steve

64D7FAB7-5647-4437-8CB5-4DBB61725C78.jpeg

0C9F2D90-CFBD-4202-ABED-347A41859D70.jpeg