• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

300 HP, How to Assemble Our Engines Engine Builders Chime In

Benjamin A.R.

i

I'm not sure whether you've got another 18 seconds to spare, but this looks like the same car (with the previous V-8 engine). 

Much better. I have to laugh and think, at what point did he realize he needed to add the turbo? I mean, the iron block is a sin but, they do sound good.

• Haha 1

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

5 hours ago, 2002iii said:

With an iron block 5.3 turbo weighing around 500 lbs not including transmission, that car is now a straight line only car. I call bs on the 2400lbs, engine weighs at least 200lbs more than stock and a roll cage and bigger transmission.

There is a reason GM never offered the t5 transmission with a 350 it's because people broke them with 305s, so why would you put one behind a 383?

The T5 can be built to take some power. I don't think this was a big budget build so I doubt the 383 has much more than 400-425hp. They can be built for over 500hp but, your spending some serious coin on heads.

So, to cheer everyone up. How about the S85 we just chucked into the M3? Fits like a glove!

Which M3?

Posted that clip because I was offended by a 2002 conversion that "makes noise and attracts attention".

I understood this thread intent to lift the bar for diy assembly of turbo long blocks. 

Ignoring history and constructive comments from solid members of the community is not how this gets done.

Edited by gary32

1 hour ago, gary32 said:

So, to cheer everyone up. How about the S85 we just chucked into the M3? Fits like a glove!

Which M3?

Posted that clip because I was offended by a 2002 conversion that "makes noise and attracts attention".

I understood this thread intent to lift the bar for diy assembly of turbo long blocks. 

Ignoring history and constructive comments from solid members of the community is not how this gets done.

E30 M3.   Sorry if I offended anyone. I assumed this was an internet forum where like minded people have fun talking about BMWs?  At least the S85 is still a BMW product and the e30 M3 is a worthy transfer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evil02 said:

E30 M3.   Sorry if I offended anyone. I assumed this was an internet forum where like minded people have fun talking about BMWs?  At least the S85 is still a BMW product and the e30 M3 is a worthy transfer.

E30 looks great, I love it. Any idea when that will be running?

When did so many people start getting so offended at other’s ideas and opinions ?! This is just a random thread on the internet, sheesh. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Lorin said:

E30 looks great, I love it. Any idea when that will be running?

Right now the headers are a nightmare. The driver side header terminates right into the steering so, that is the first thing to tackle and then tons of sheet metal work. The goal is to have it built, running and driving by the end of the summer/fall. Then it will be taken back apart, painted(full rotisserie) and then re assembled so, it may not be done for a full year or so. This is something we just work on when we can. I'm also building a 2002 and a 68 Camaro all at the same time so, things drag on.

The T5 can be built to take some power.

This.  The S10 transmissions were quite low torque,

but by the end, they were doing ok.  And then

Tremec kept improving them incrementally.

t

STILL fixated on that aluminum- case Muncie, tho...

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

16 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I'm trying to remember the member's name, but can't quite pull it out of my head.  I downloaded this video on Nov. 1st, 2017.  I checked and it did not come from the What Did You Do to Your 2002 Today! thread.

At the risk of offending everyone, he would have gone a LOT faster if he'd have taken his foot off the brake....

hee

t

throw it at the corner and see what you can miss.

• Sad 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

15 minutes ago, TobyB said:

This.  The S10 transmissions were quite low torque,

but by the end, they were doing ok.  And then

Tremec kept improving them incrementally.

t

STILL fixated on that aluminum- case Muncie, tho...

There are places that still build m21's and 22's that will take over 1000hp. T5's and super 10's can't get that high but, plenty stout for 500tq.  Lots of drag shops still making these transmissions work well.

https://www.autogear.net/

Edited by evil02

10 minutes ago, TobyB said:

At the risk of offending everyone, he would have gone a LOT faster if he'd have taken his foot off the brake....

HOW DARE YOU!! 

#highly offended we aren't talking about NO2 yet.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, evil02 said:

Fits like a glove!

4 hours ago, evil02 said:

Right now the headers are a nightmare. The driver side header terminates right into the steering so, that is the first thing to tackle 

These statements are contradictory.

8 hours ago, evil02 said:

The T5 can be built to take some power. I don't think this was a big budget build so I doubt the 383 has much more than 400-425hp. They can be built for over 500hp but, your spending some serious coin on heads.

I know the t5 can be made stronger, but it's much easier and cheaper to just get a t56. The t56 is good for at least 450hp stock.

Yeah it was most likely a crate 383 with 400-430hp.

Edited by 2002iii

36 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

These statements are contradictory.

I know the t5 can be made stronger, but it's much easier and cheaper to just get a t56. The t56 is good for at least 450hp stock.

Yeah it was most likely a crate 383 with 400-430hp.

How was my statement contradictory?  The motor fits like a glove. The headers do not. Keep up! :)

A fully built T5 is about $1500-2k. A fully built Muncie m21 or m22 is about $2900 and can handle over 1000hp.  My T56 magnum was $3500 shipped and can maybe handle 1000hp. I'm going to put 950hp/950tq through it and I'll let you know how it does.

RPM's is the bigger issue. T56's don't like to shift at high rpms. Over 7k and you are looking at getting new syncro's and face plating. That service is around $5k+ and that is after the $3500 for the trans!

Edited by evil02

19 minutes ago, evil02 said:

How was my statement contradictory?  The motor fits like a glove. The headers do not. Keep up! :)

The motor needs headers to run, so in my mind headers are part of the motor.

Fits like a glove usually means fits perfectly. I see a custom subframe and other fabrication that looks like it took a lot to make it fit.

5 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

Fits like a glove usually means fits perfectly. I see a custom subframe and other fabrication that looks like it took a lot to make it fit.

Maybe the glove isn't all the way on yet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

I like to focus more on the glove and less on the fit.  The motor fits in the engine bay. Anything after that is trivial.

• Confused 1