• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Subframe bushing inserts needed.

Golfcar

My understanding is that when BMW made a run on the big subframe bushings they missed the boat on hardness. 

This is what I've been told. 

I have new OEM bushings and some say they will not last long. 

I searched last night and found some references to this but hard to pin down if this is old info as in 5 years or more. 

Hopefully BMW was made aware of this and the current supply of bushings if the right hardness? 

Love to hear that as I'm ready to continue my rear subframe assembly. Other thread on my subframe work. 

This is a Tii and not going to urethane. A driver car that I want to keep close to stock. 

It's a numbers matching car with a 4 speed. 

Want it to continue as a survivor. 

The latest rear subframe mounts from the BMW dealer are VERY soft rubber.  In my opinion much softer than from years ago.  Soft mounts allow the rear subframe to move under lateral loads.  The result is rear steer.  The car feels like the rear end is loose (oversteer) at corner entry.  After it takes a set the remainder of the corner feels mostly ok, but the initial unsettled handling makes most drivers uncomfortable.  I personally would not use the current stock of factory rubber subframe mounts without filling the voids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m5bb said:

This is a Tii and not going to urethane. A driver car that I want to keep close to stock.

Sounds like IE (above) has the answer.  Fill the voids.  Remove for originality.

Funny, I bought subframe mounts from the dealer 5 years ago and they sat on the bench waiting for me to get the enthusiasm to refresh the subframe.  Hopefully they were old enough to be firm as opposed to soft.  I haven't noticed any issues.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

3 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

that depends on what he meant by "inserts."

these only come in Polyurethane.

3101-large-1.jpg

https://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/3101

I put these in my rear carrier bushings when refreshing my entire subframe and suspension. The only other urethane parts I used were for the sway bars, but I also upgraded my shocks, springs and every other replaceable rubber bit.

I absolutely love the way my car rides and handles. Sporty as hell without and harshness. 

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS