• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getrag 235 Alpina 5speed

Rustyfe

IIRC synchros for those close ratio boxes are unobtanium...but if anyone could help, it would be the folks at Metric Mechanic.  They've been rebuilding all sorts of 2002 gearboxes for many years, and may know of a source, or have 'em themselves.  

You have a rare gearbox that's definitely worth saving.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I would try the usual suspects:  LaJolla Independent, Coupe King, Maximillian, and maybe Cahsel (here).

Good luck.  I do believe they have been NLA for a long time (as Mikle says) but maybe not any more?

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Mark, contacted Retro yesterday and they have what I need. Thanks to all and especially Markmac.

I hadn't driven my tii for some time and was on the fence thinking of selling her, but they I drove it again.  She's staying with me.

A friend came by the shop with his paint gage reader and she measured a low o 2.0 and a high of 3.5 on all panels.  Just so few original paint cars left.  Plus a gas to drive with the CR 5 speed.

Rusty

1 hour ago, Rustyfe said:

Mark, contacted Retro yesterday and they have what I need. Thanks to all and especially Markmac.

I hadn't driven my tii for some time and was on the fence thinking of selling her, but they I drove it again.  She's staying with me.

A friend came by the shop with his paint gage reader and she measured a low o 2.0 and a high of 3.5 on all panels.  Just so few original paint cars left.  Plus a gas to drive with the CR 5 speed.

Rusty

Is this car in our forum’s Registry? It should be! 

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I am putting together a 235/5 now that I may be selling (maybe), they (retro engineering) are really helpful.  Their retrofit 235/5 with straight cut gears is on my want list.  My car puts out more than 2x the HP of a stock tii, that trans was never designed for that much power - I suspect that it wouldn't last long.

Edited by markmac

250 hp??  But how many torques? 

The race engines in the class I run manage 180,

but the gearboxes aren't ever a weak point,

as I don't make all that much more torque than stock.

And synthetic oil is so much better than the lube that

the stock boxes were designed for, it's not funny.

I only broke one, and that was my fault for not checking

the output flange nut.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Schnitzer cylinder head, Alpina engine, 10.7:1 CR, dry sump, kuglefischer / slide throttle (stacks are red now, good for at least 5 more bhp....NOT -but they look cool <and that's the way they were back in the day>)

270bhp @ 8400 RPM, torque 167.3.  

255bhp @ 7500 RPM, torque 178.5 (sweet spot)

IMG_20200221_120446 (1).jpg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, markmac said:

Schnitzer cylinder head, Alpina engine, 10.7:1 CR, dry sump, kuglefischer / slide throttle (stacks are red now, good for at least 5 more bhp....NOT -but they look cool <and that's the way they were back in the day>)

270bhp @ 8400 RPM, torque 167.3.  

255bhp @ 7500 RPM, torque 178.5 (sweet spot)

IMG_20200221_120446 (1).jpg

Oh sh*t! ??

Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

Steve

• Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

If you're nice to it, though (don't flat shift) I don't think the gearbox will mind 160- 180 ft- lbs if you DON'T

use it all in 1st gear.  I DO flat shift, and again, have yet to even damage a BMW M10 gearbox.

Nice eye candy!

Needs air filters, though.

heh

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

They ran these gear boxes back in the day with some of these high HP motors, suffice to say much harder than I would be able to do (or have the capability of) and they did break (or wear).  Of course then you could get spares, now its more challenging, and expensive.  I think they ran the car for a while with no filtration on the injection.  Later though they fit a plate to the end of the stacks with a box and some sort of primitive filtration. Image from one of the last races the car ran in, aside from the airbox, they also added a spacer in on the velocity stack to extend it what appears to be about 3/4".  Original stacks were pretty short at 135mm.

Alpina - Black 2.jpg

Excellent information from the FAQ as always. I was wondering who has the synchronizers for these etc. Many thanks to MarkMac.

Does anyone have a preferred East Coast rebuild shop for these early Close ratio gearboxes? 

I have one that needs freshening up and have not found anyone as yet to do the job.

I don't mind going into motors and carburetors and such but gearboxes are a little bit of a black art for me as they always require special tools and more precise measurement etc.

I'm a bit of a sloppy teenager when it comes to the super tricky stuff?

Very best regards as always, please comment if you know of a good East Coast gearbox shop for the close ratio five speed. It needs is a freshening up, years of road racing have been hard on it. Thanks again, Peter

1562C731-9BA6-4FFC-A3AD-7294C28BEBE9_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 2

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

I hear what you are saying about transmissions.  You could try Mario at VSR1 in Vermont?  Or, check with the boys at Sports Car Restoration.  I know Matt and his shop are slammed busy, he might have some ideas for you.  Other than that their are a whole bunch that can do them out here in the West.  It really wouldn't be that big a deal to ship without the bell, if it came to that.

• Like 1