• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pump chain size - any alternative

rapandi

Hi team,

As i am putting back the engine together I thought I might as well renew the oil pump chain. The part number for the chain is 11411716989. I called my local BMW and they said they don't have that part anymore and cannot supply. I called some local suppliers and found out that they do have them in stock. Picked up the chain just to find it has the right pitch but it is thicker. So the new chain has a lot of lateral play. I fear it may wear the chain out.

Anyway, I am pretty close to just putting the old chain back in the car but before doing that I figured I should ask - anyone else had any success with sourcing new oil pump chains in recent past 6 months or so? If so from where. I live in Australia - so cost of shipping/postage will most likely be more than the cost of chain but I am keen to explore prior to putting the old chain back on.

Pic below shows the larger new chain on left and old stock chain on left.

Regards

Raj

Chain.jpg

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

This is the propagation of how suppliers have mistakenly substituted the s14 chain for the m10.  The work-around until recently was to buy oem (dealer), however, as you note they are now out.  bmw and all the suppliers are aware. but none are eager to address the issue.  IE is in the process of making the correct chains, but I'm sure it'll be a bit before they are ready.

in short, a (none-immediate) solution is in the works.

Did you carefully examine the sprockets for wear?  At least with my experience on cam chains, my sprocket teeth were worn almost to points, while the chain didn't show much wear.  And after 226k miles on my '69 the original cam and oil pump chains are humming right along. 

Remember where the oil pump chain runs--in oil!--so suffers much less wear as a result.  You can tension your old chain (presuming the sprockets are in good shape) by shimming--that's the factory method of tensioning the chain as they don't come in different lengths...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 hours ago, mike said:

......  You can tension your old chain (presuming the sprockets are in good shape) by shimming--that's the factory method of tensioning the chain as they don't come in different lengths...

mike

What do you actually shim? I can't even imagine how you could shim the chain itself. Oh - maybe shim the oil pump down? I have yet to tear into my bottom end so plz forgive my ignorance.

10 hours ago, Buckeye said:

Not long ago Vince was hunting down oil pump chain. Think he found one. May want to get in-touch with him

Raj,
Unfortunately, don’t have a lead for you to get the correct chain. I believe all the 3rd party suppliers have the wrong chain. 

I had exactly the same problem a couple of months back and luckily got the correct chain on eBay from Greece thanks to a tip by @114TYP.  My understanding is that seller is out of the correct chains. 

Only thing I would suggest is to keep your eye out on eBay overseas or reuse the old chain as others have advocated. 

Vince

• Like 1

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'