• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Someone's DIY coilover conversion or?

OK, so my compulsive buying continues, and I'm now the owner of this pallet of parts:

IMG-20200504-WA0000.jpeg

I'm wondering what's up with the strut tubes - the welding on this isn't master craftsmanship, but the stepped tubing has me curious. The spindles are standard tii spindles, no Alpina "made on unobtainium" goodness there - but these tubes are about 56 mm at the base, and then step down to 50 mm. Any ideas where these are from, or are the just someone's DIY work, what say you?

20200505_130643.jpg

20200505_132619.jpg

20200505_130556.jpg

Edited by BarrettN
improved

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

Oh, certainly, entirely junk.

Package 'em up, and take them to your shipper.

I'll get you a prepaid mailing label stat.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

They look serviceable. My first reaction would be to look at the spot welds at the bottom of the strut and perhaps have them fully welded around the tube to the spindle.  Maybe even drill and tap a set screw into the lower chase collar lock ring thingy.  A bigger question is what spring to use.  

But what do I know.  

But what do I know

Well, I have plenty to keep me busy getting my car on the road before I worry about swapping out the suspension. I was curious as much as anything, especially how they're stepped. I only paid $300 for all those parts, so I'm way ahead whatever happens. If I wanted to really do them right I'd just get IE tubes, but they're rather spendy https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/stage-3-coilovers-46mm-strut-tubes-a-la-cart-2002/

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

How does the bottom of the strut(s) look like? 56 mm bottom part (guiding tube- kinda-portion) - does it continue/extend to the end of spindle part? Same amount of "camber" on both struts?

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

Well those are most likely tii struts with the vented 6 cyl calipers, so i would at least fine a good flat layout table and see if they match and if neg camber was added, then maybe reweld them.  

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I'll be able to take some more pictures (to see if the tube extends into the spindle) and check if it looks like any negative camber has been built into them this evening - thanks for everyone's help and suggestions 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

Didn't get the pictures taken until today, I don't have a good known flat work surface so I used a steel ruler.

20200509_143133.jpg

It looks to me like there isn't any camber built into them - but if how I'm evaluating them lacks, I'm open to pointers on how to best do it. The larger diameter tubing is obviously necked down as seen in the previous photos, here's a picture of the strut seen from the bottom. 

20200509_143102.jpg

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii