• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater box parts

Mike A

. The PO arse buggered up the one that came with the car so badly that I wouldn't want to trust a repair to the valve mount as it only has one original bolt hole.  Beyond that the plastic surface is goobered up with excess adhesive, paint and all sorts of boogers. The balance of the parts are restorable. Should anyone have a cannabilized heater box with a decent top section and willing to sell,  please PM.  Thanks a heap. 

Mike

IMG_1884.jpg

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

Truth be told, the heater hoses themselves are stiff enough to hold the valve in place nicely.  I broke part of the valve bracket while trying to wrestle off a petrified, 26 year old hose that connects the valve with the neater core.  I was all set to make a reinforcement piece when I discovered the valve control worked fine once I had replaced both hoses and tightened the clamps.  

And a little paint remover will take the overspray off the exposed part of the heater box...

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

^^That’s pretty much what I have found..
but.fashioning a reinforcement like I have seen on this forum just gives a little more confidence that things won’t move around so much...adding another task to the list

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

I have a spare full heater box in serviceable shape with cables if you need it.  I'm not planning to part it out, but PM me if you want the whole thing.

- Crash

• Thanks 1

'73 2002 tii Graniterot/Saddle

'17 X5 Xdrive 3.5d Mineral White/Amaro Brown

'18 328d Xdrive Sportwagon Glacier Silver/Black

+2 on the Mikes' comments. I've rebuilt 3 heater boxes (3 for 3, one for every '02 I owned), and they all had broken brackets. The valve works just fine without the bracket. They were all roundies with brass valves, by the way.

Jerry

• Thanks 1

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

22 hours ago, tomphot said:

https://prdesignsf.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fheater-valve-mount-reinforcement-kit

Check this out, easy repair. 

Just did mine and that looks very familiar. 

yes...that's pretty much what my DIY repair kit looks like. although not quite as slick. My problem is that only one mounting hole was left on the broken bracket 

19 minutes ago, Crash513 said:

I have a spare full heater box in serviceable shape with cables if you need it.  I'm not planning to part it out, but PM me if you want the whole thing.

- Crash

PM sent

27 minutes ago, Mike A said:

yes...that's pretty much what my DIY repair kit looks like. although not quite as slick. My problem is that only one mounting hole was left on the broken bracket 

Yes, that’s what mine was like as well.  The Aluminium piece is L shaped and there was room to put rivets down into the box as well.  

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

• 2 years later...