• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ADVICE Needed For Installing Engine

Hello all,

Got a completely empty engine bay from my recent overhaul. Before dropping in the subframe and engine what accessories would be wise to install first that won't be in the way of the install? Aka what accessories would be a pain in the ass to install after the engine, tran, subframe are installed and what ones would be safer to install after so I don't risk a scratching some fresh stuff.

Thanks,

Mitch

Fahrt Start

Everything...wiring, brakes, radiator. etc with exception of air cleaner..  as long as you have the technology to drop the body down onto the subframe.

Here's me doing it with a turbo engine...took a few goes as we fine-tuned position...and realised that (on a turbo) the intake 'elbow' needs to be fitted after install into engine bay.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Make sure your steering shaft flex coupler is slid up the steering shaft so its flush with the end of the shaft. If its hanging down it can bind up with the steering gear input shaft?

Some folks will remove the retainer bolts and slid the entire shaft assy up a bit for clearance.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

If this is your first time going from the bottom IMHO, I would leave the distributor and fan off and the radiator out you'll have a lot less tight spots to keep a eye on and all that stuff is a breeze to install after the engine is in it's new home.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

17 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

If this is your first time going from the bottom IMHO, I would leave the distributor and fan off and the radiator out you'll have a lot less tight spots to keep a eye on and all that stuff is a breeze to install after the engine is in it's new home.

Yes, the radiator was one I was thinking about leaving off. I am pretty sure I pulled the radiator first when it all came out.

Fahrt Start