• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incorrect Fuse Information from BMW?

RMBaiada

I am restoring my 1974 2002 (VIN - 4223665) and currently reinstalling my wiring harness. I copied the fuse box information form my workshop manual (From 73 models on) and the one from my original Owner's Manual (I purchased the car new in 1974), but they are different. After testing some of the circuits, the Workshop Manual is correct.

Anyone know why the Owner's Manual would be inaccurate?

The following is from the Workshop Manual

image.png

The following is from my original Owner's Manual.

image.png

Edited by RMBaiada

Let’s count the possible ways:

1. The original (glossy tan or orange cover) Owner’s handbook (if you’re not talking about the much smaller Owner’s handbook supplement for U.S.-spec cars) is simply a translation off the German-language Owner’s handbook. It does not reflect U.S. specs and equipment.

2. And it has errors.

3. If you’re talking about the smaller (non-glossy white cover) Owner’s handbook, the supplement for U.S.-spec cars, it also has errors.

4. The Owner’s handbooks were often quite out-dated. My ‘76, which I also bought new, was manufactured April 23, 1976. It came new with a February 1975 orange-cover Owner’s handbook and a July 1975 white-cover Owner’s handbook supplement for U.S. cars. Those handbooks were oblivious to the existence of 49-state and California versions of the 1976 model.

5. The BMW AG of 1974 was a much smaller — and in many ways struggling — company. I’m guessing it employed few or no translators and few or no proofreaders in those years. 

6. Owner’s handbooks were not a priority. You’ll notice that text and photos are often simply carried over from long-gone model years.

And don’t be surprised if the underhood fuse sticker agrees with neither the shop manual nor either of the Owner’s handbooks!

My thoughts on handbooks... ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I think your original owner's manual shows a fuse layout for a '71-'72. Might want to check the date on the back cover.

OK, just checked my orig owner's manual that came with my Touring. It's also incorrect. My manual is dated 3/74. In 34 years of ownership, I never knew. The fuse sticker under hood is correct.

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

My 75 orange manual came with an incorrect fuse diagram and it was from the original owner as well.  The one I found from later in 75 is correct.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

The fuse listing in your owner's manual jibes with the fuse layout for at least 72 and 73 US spec cars and possibly for 1971 modell 71 cars (i.e. all those with 257/8/9xxxx VINs).  Those late roundies have the right and left parking light feature, selected by the turn signal lever with the ignition off, and don't have a fuse (or relay) for the high beams.

So...check the printing date on the back cover of your owners manual:  if it is dated prior to 9/73 it's for a roundie (and the illustrations within--like for changing the tail light bulbs) will show roundies.  If it's for a squarelight (with appropriate illustrations) and is dated 9/73 or later, then the factory messed up when they printed it. 

The latter isn't surprising--many if not all the sales literature pieces printed by BMW have inaccuracies in the pictures--in fact they often did a little airbrushing on the previous year's photos to make 'em resemble the following year's cars--and often didn't do a very good job.  Sometimes they're the same picture used for several succeeding years with no changes...

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Looks like your original manual numbered the fuses 1-6 starting from the bottom to top on the RIGHT side of the fuse box.

Fuse numbers 7-12 were from  bottom to top on the LEFT side.

This is the reverse of how our 12-fuse boxes are numbered. 1-6 from bottom to top on the LEFT, 7-12 on the RIGHT.

• Like 1