• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash started smoking using led light bulbs...

Robert Kyle

They could be useful as reverse lights as long as they didn't start melting stuff.

Probably should get my reverse lights working first. Hoping they magically start working again when I plug my hazard switch back in?

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

15 minutes ago, Robert Kyle said:

If it lasts thousands of hours, one less opportunity to break my back reaching under the dash to change bulbs

With some practice, you can sit in the driver seat, unscrew the two knurled knobs, screw out the speedo nut, and disengage the speedo cable.  Feel for the big connector from the wire harness; disconnect it.  Perhaps the connector from your clock, disconnect it. Wiggle and pull out the whole cluster assembly toward you.  Be mindful of any grounding wires.  Can be done without breaking your back.   

It would be best if you disconnect the battery first in case you have any live wires hanging loose back there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Robert Kyle said:

L Charge (Red) (I think I'll change this back to incandescent; I don't think LEDs should probably go here???)

You're correct.  The incandescent bulb in the charge socket is vital to the charging system.  If it's burned out or replaced with an LED, the alternator won't charge the battery.

Were it my car and I had the cluster out, I'd change all the illumination bulbs for new incandescent ones and you'll (probably) be good for 30 years or so...Incandescent bulbs do get dim with age, so new bulbs will be brighter than the old ones.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 4/16/2020 at 4:18 AM, rcf925 said:

I've had my cluster out so many times it's about 2 minute job to get out

Same - an easy job once you've had it in and out a few times. I've got a bag of LED's I've come by in the past, but I am not sure I need more illumination than this - with a fully operational dimmer function.

IMG_6628.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/14/2020 at 6:22 PM, adawil2002 said:

Edited by Mike A

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

I needed an incandescent in the battery slot for the tach to function 

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?