• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers Sitting Too Low? (Stock Height Suspension)

kontango

Hi guys,

I have a 1502 that I've been converting into a 2002. I purchased the street / track step style header from Ireland Engineering back in January of last year when they were on sale and finally finished restoring the car to the point where I'm about to install the exhaust system.

The guy installing my exhaust mentioned that he felt the headers were sitting too low and would pose a risk if the care were to approach a speed bump at speed or hit a pot hole. He's claiming the headers are sitting lower than the oil pan. He also pointed out that they're awfully too close to the passenger side tie rod. Has anyone else installed these headers and has anyone noticed them sitting far too low?

My engine mounts are all new with polyurethane bushings everywhere. Everything was purchased stock or from Ireland Engineering for a street setup. I have Bilstein B4's in the front and B6's in the rear. Stock springs and currently have 13's but will be upgrading to 15's. Will these pose a risk at this clearance?

I really hope you guys can help me out!

41A2B2C8-BF08-4D6A-8FE4-5891589B5725.JPG

EA342C2B-C986-4152-BF0A-E7BA5CA05EC9.JPG

IMG_9108 2.JPG

IMG_3392 2.JPG

IMG_9108 2.JPG

IMG_3392 2.JPG

Edited by kontango

All stock and header type exhaust systems sit below the oil pan and get close to the idler arm/tie rod..the photos of your install look correct. Should not be a problem. It is very dependent on your ride height and roads/terrain you will be traveling over. As long as there isn’t any interference with rubbing the chassis or steering, it should be all good. They were made for performance driving/racing on a smooth track, not rallye racing.
Cheers,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insight Matt.

Unfortunately I am driving in a country where there are lots of potholes and speed bumps (Jordan). I wanna do what I can so that I do have peace of mind and won't be worrying about the exhaust system falling apart should I meet some unfriendly lumps of pavement. I guess I should have gone for the shorty headers but they were sold out at the time.

As for wheels helping add some clearance, I have 13's on the car right now but will be installing 15's once the restoration is complete, will that help in any way? The guy at my garage insists it won't because the headers come down behind the front wheels and that in the case of a speed bump the wheel clearance isn't going to protect the headers from hitting the pavement.

Has anyone installed these and had any clearance issues on unfriendly pavement or otherwise?

I don't think wheel (rim) diameter will help much unless you make it help. Usually, the tire height is adjusted so the OD still matches the EOM OD. You would have to explicitly spec a larger diameter tire. This calculator is really useful to see what will happen to the accuracy of your speedometer, and potential for rubbing on wheel wells or tie rods, etc. https://www.willtheyfit.com/

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, man_mark_7 said:

I don't think wheel (rim) diameter will help much unless you make it help. Usually, the tire height is adjusted so the OD still matches the EOM OD. You would have to explicitly spec a larger diameter tire. This calculator is really useful to see what will happen to the accuracy of your speedometer, and potential for rubbing on wheel wells or tie rods, etc. https://www.willtheyfit.com/

+1

And if you attempt to install tires with a larger overall diameter, you will find that your tire fitment problems multiply...

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi,

You said you had stock springs, make sure they are new since you apparently already have new shocks. You can't afford saggy springs. I have an oil sump protector but your header would probably foul it...this might increase the lifespan of the header if you have something to run interference before hitting the header. Since it's one piece I guess this will stress the flanges and studs if you hang or hit it repeatedly.  I built mine for bad roads, so I have hd springs and the sump protector but I am running the standard ti/tii exhaust manifold with a larger bore exhaust from Simons. The center resonator is the low point on my setup.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

13 hours ago, Buckeye said:

@kontango

I think you have broken Front axle support per this picture. Could you confirm?

frame.jpeg.c1bed29a8a3f8d3a8a994274cfd89fdd.jpeg

Nice catch buck

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

It's only the beginning of a crack that may have been caused by an oversized oil pan I had previously installed but replaced which was practically sitting on the front axle. I'm having a welder come look at it tomorrow to add a reinforcement plate and to avoid any issues in the future.

Back to the setup though... does anyone have any input on the header height or whether it will be problematic when the entire exhaust system is installed and being driven on shitty roads?