• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CA gas and 10:1

slowpoke

So, i was just thinking, I’ve read a bunch that says 9:1 or so is the most us californians should use on pump gas.  But if i wanted to run higher compression so i could have more fun on track days, could i run two different advance curves on a 123ignition, one for street and one for track when i can use some better gas?  (Most tracks have 95 and 100).

any thoughts?

What cam will you use?  Something more aggressive will actually do a bit better at low revs,

as the effective compression ratio will be lower.

What induction will you use?  EFI can be tuned to go rich in conditions where detonation might occur.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

have a lynx intake w/ a 45 and a header on a shelf.  was wishing for a cheap 304-ish cam.  any suggestions for that?  been slowly trolling here and craigslist for parts and am just about ready to pull the trigger on a rebuild.  saw the post for 10:1 pistons and thought ...  maybe.  prior to that i was thinking 9.5 or so and  292-304-ish cam.

primarily track car now.  roll bar, one seat. engine burns oil like crazy so feel bad doing grocery store runs.  bought a spare engine that i was going to rebuild and swap in. of course, the head in the car and the head on the spare are not the same....  e12 vs. e21. 

oh, live an hour and change from Laguna Seca, 1.5hrs from Infineon, 3hrs from Thunderhill, 3 hrs from Buttonwillow,   need to get the track car a bit sportier!  currently very willing to tow to the track, but want to be able to drive on the street to make sure its ready for the track...

24 minutes ago, slowpoke said:

oh, live an hour and change from Laguna Seca, 1.5hrs from Infineon, 3hrs from Thunderhill, 3 hrs from Buttonwillow,   need to get the track car a bit sportier!  currently very willing to tow to the track, but want to be able to drive on the street to make sure its ready for the track...

Thats pretty much where I am, Just finished build with 9:8 CR, .292 cam. Car is set up basically for street and track Bilstein Coilovers, , 5spd, LSD 3.91 and I'm 2 hrs from Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow. I have 002 distributor with Pertronix and no issues so far on 91 octane, Plenty of torque and high end

I ran those 10.1 pistons I have for sale with a 304 cam on pump CA 91 gas.

In fact my "new" race motor....is also 10.1 ish with teh same 304 cam and I still run 91 pump gas.....4 races done this year.

even dyno tuned it 36 degree's timing....no issues...... 134rwhp.

all documented in my build thread

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

06' ///M3 Competition Pkg Sold *

http://www.bmw1602.com/

topbanner.gif

bmw1602.  that's sweet.  i'll check the build thread.  thinking about your pistons, but currently i think the head that goes w/ them (e21) is on the car.   do you have a 304 or is there a "sort of equivalent" regrind?  cams are pricey.  ok, everything's pricey.    looks like i've got some more reading to do over lunch!! woohoo!

• Like 1

I say invest in a J&S with knock retard and add a wideband, tune the fuel to your best and be done with it. Just because you don't hear knock doesn't mean its not.

and / or invest in race gas at the track....only $90 to fill up twice a day. :)......unless you have a Tii, which will require extensive  tuning for each.