• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil overfill: let nature take its course or drain it

Sahara

24 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Err, if that's showing 2+ quarts over, I'd drain it. 

And if it's me, being anal, I'd catch the oil in a pan, strain it,

and put 4 quarts back in.  Then see where it reads on the dipstick.

Just to make sure your dipstick is long enough ;)

Because if that's gone that far up onto the uncrushed rod of the dipstick,

that IS high enough to potentially get into the crank.  Like, 6+ quarts, not counting the filter.

t

revising his earlier internet oil-pinion.

I agree with Toby, that is more than an extra 1/2-3/4 qt unless someone shortened the dipstick tube.  Drain it, strain it and refill with 4 qts and check the dipstick again.  

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Just pull the drain plug for a few seconds and shove it back on. You going to get messy as hell. When you're done walk into the house and wipe you hands off on the curtains. Say a few cuss words and ask if you can wash a few car parts in the dish washer. Oops, That is my life. ?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Jbaumshelter said:

Just pull the drain plug for a few seconds and shove it back on. You going to get messy as hell. When you're done walk into the house and wipe you hands off on the curtains. Say a few cuss words and ask if you can wash a few car parts in the dish washer. Oops, That is my life. ?

You forgot to throw the dirty laundry under the car to soak up the oil and kick the dog on the way into house.

I'm with you, I'd pull the plug for few seconds and put it back in.  Oh yeah, and not use that shop again.

Edited by dang

15 hours ago, TobyB said:

Err, if that's showing 2+ quarts over, I'd drain it. 

And if it's me, being anal, I'd catch the oil in a pan, strain it,

and put 4 quarts back in.  Then see where it reads on the dipstick.

Just to make sure your dipstick is long enough ;)

Because if that's gone that far up onto the uncrushed rod of the dipstick,

that IS high enough to potentially get into the crank.  Like, 6+ quarts, not counting the filter.

t

revising his earlier internet oil-pinion.

@TobyB

Given that I had healthy oil pressure and normal performance during the 2 weeks of the overfill, is it safe to assume that serious windage and the resulting damage did not occur? I will be draining it as I said, I'm just trying to figure out where I stand overall. 

Just now, John_in_VA said:

Can't you extract all of it & measure the total, then add back the correct amount?

It's a single piece dipstick (E21 motor) I don't think that it is likely to be incorrect. The only reason I didn't drain it until it was dead on was that it was taking a while and I had other work to do. Now I've verified the extractor fits and functions, I can drain the rest at my leisure. 

You won't have hurt the engine even IF it got wound around the crank a bit.  Oil with air floats on liquid oil with no air,

so the bottom of the sump on a street car won't get much air down there.  Your engine's fine.

NOW, if there are 2 1/2 quarts in there, the pump WILL suck air, and THAT'S not so good-

take the hour now, pump it all out, and let it sit for a bit (that little extractor probably WILL mix air into it)

Then sneak into the house, swipe a liquid quart measure from the kitchen, and put 4 quarts back in.

See what the dipstick says, and if it's not somewhere in the middle of the range, find a good, deep body of water,

and see if it sinks, too.

t

just added 2 quarts to his daily driver.  Solved the lifter tick...

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 8/9/2019 at 4:50 PM, Sahara said:

Bought an oil extractor and took out a quart today. Dipstick still reads overfilled by about .75 quarts so I may drain more tomorrow but at least I know the extractor works. 

Warm up the oil by running the engine at idle. It will take MUCH less time. 

Edit:

Sorry. Misread your post. Thought  it took you .75 hours ?  In any case, I bring the oil up to temperature before using the extractor. 

Need more coffee before I post ?

Edited by NYTransplant

Tim Dennison

'72 BMW 2002 tii - Malaga,  '02 BMW Z3 Coupe Sterling Gray,  '09 BMW 650i - Carbon Black,  '15 BMW 228i Estoril Blue,  '19 BMW Z4 30 - San Francisco Red

On 8/7/2019 at 6:25 AM, Jbaumshelter said:

Removing a small measure of oil might be just as easily accomplished by removing the oil filter and draining it.  This also deters the compulsion to examine what is left in the drain plug and .  .  .  cleaning it.  Likewise, if the plug has has an embedded magnet, removing the plug invariably leads to the task of examining and removing any extraneous ferrous particulates.  In the end, removing the oil filter is perhaps slightly less messy, but adds a wee bit of control.