• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator light stays on at warm start until acceleration

gordon415

I recently upgraded to a rebuilt Bosch alternator for a 320i and a new internal voltage regulator. Brand new ground wire and new wire connectors on the back, too. I removed the 2002 separate voltage regulator. 

Seems to be working fine. On cold starts, no problem. On warm starts, the alternator light in the dash stays illuminated until I give a little gas.  Is this anything to worry about? My previous 2002 alternator never did this. 

Could it be that the fan belt is stretching just a bit when warm, allowing some slippage, but contracts when cold to grip properly...or could something slippery be getting onto the belt (leaking water pump, perhaps) and lubricating it a bit?  Just a guess...I've seen stranger things...

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'd check your belt-tension when warm, but don't over-tighten. 

With my car, anything less than ~750-800rpm and the low-voltage/alternator light comes on, so basically just cold-starts and warm-ups.

Above 800, or once it's warm and all is good. 

• Thanks 1

The E21 probably has a post start rpm target above the normal idle speed, so i t wouldn't be even noticed there.  I don't notice it with the same alternator and my Haltech EFI because I have a post start idle increase also.  This is the std vacuum dash pot that is on american carbs.

• Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.