• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed swap clutch issues

Hello all!

Well, I've run out of ideas here. Just did a 245 swap with an Aardvarc kit. All went together well, but I'm having issues. Can't get the car in gear with engine running, and it makes a loud noise when the clutch is pushed in. Noise is with engine speed and sounds like what you'd expect to hear if the fork was hitting the pressure plate, or at least something spinning hitting something stationary. Clutch pedal out, no noise. Shut car off, can put in gear and with car in air, fire it up, wheels turn, no noises. Dave at Aardvarc thought clutch disc may be in backwards. Pulled it apart, clutch disc in correctly. Checked parts, correct clutch, correct TO bearing, no witness marks on anything that would indicate anything hitting anything. In short, it all looks fine and I'm out of ideas.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance,

John

^^ This ^^

Sounds like a problem with disengagement of the clutch to me. First check the hydraulics and then the pushrod, fork and turnout bearing 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Hmmm    How would the clutch hydraulics cause a noise?  If they were weakthen the only thing that happens is that the pressure plate does not disengage the disc enough, it would make trying to shift gears very hard, which is what you say happens.   Not able to put into gear is something to do with hydraulics but I don't think it is causing the noise

How does the pedal feel when pressing it down ( with the engine off ) ?

Can you pump the pedal up a few times and does it feel different ( same thing, eng off ) ?

What kind of noise is it?     Did you replace the plastic pivot at the end of the clutch fork?    Is the hold down clip in place?    Did you replace the pilot brg in the end of the crank?     How does the release brg fit in the fork, snugly or very loose?      Funny that you don't see any marks anywhere.    

Lots of questions    I have done lots of 5 speed swaps and have never encountered any noises after doing the job.   Curious to see what the issue is 

Thanks, Rick

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stephers said:

Hmmm    How would the clutch hydraulics cause a noise? 

To be fair this could be my poor comprehension but I read his account as being the gearbox making a crunching noise due to no synchronisation and the gears being pushed together. Even if the synchro is working this may make a noise as it is trying to effectively manage a clutchless shift. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My impression of his description was when he tried to push the clutch pedal down ( with eng running ) it made a noise from the clutch area. If it is when he pushes the clutch in and then tries to engage gears and that is when the noise happens, then, yes, sounds like synchros trying to engage 

This is why all the questions      We will have to wait and see what comes from those answers.

Thanks, Rick

Well, that’s the problem with being an armchair mechanic on the other side of a computer screen. A comma in the wrong place and we are on a wild goose chase!

still, this is the right place to get answers. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Hello again!

Thanks for all the replies! The noise does seem to be coming from the clutch area. New pivot, clip in place. I have not pulled the pressure plate to see if there was interference between the disc and the flywheel bolts. Clutch pedal feels a little soft, but I didn’t think too much of it as the noise wasn’t what you’d expect to hear with that. I will bleed the slave again however. I will pull it a little further apart and report back. 

Here are a couple pics to see if anyone spots anything. 

CF0BF0BC-25DF-411C-A058-1BE4B616264F.jpeg

596E265C-DA07-4873-8779-05BB0884A5A0.jpeg

Good eye Nick, sure does look like something not right there, it looks like it maybe the throw out bearing guide has something on it also.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

How about the length of the slave cylinder rod?

I don't know what the length should be, but sometimes manufacturers substitute "universal" sizes, which may not be what you need.

If it is too short, then you may not be getting enough travel to fully disconnect the clutch.

I think what you are seeing as chewed up is a bit of grease on the hub that transferred from the input splines, and some on the collar which also had a thin coat on it. I will be back to it today and take another look though. As far as pushrod length, I don’t know what proper length should be so it’s hard to tell if it’s the right one. 

Thank you you again for all the input!