• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats up with my 74 Tii?

Danz3

19 hours ago, Danz3 said:

I’m thinking it’s wires as well. Just panicking for no reason. I’m planning on checking order for a third time, checking to see that the plugs are getting spark and replacing new cap and rotor with some “known good” spares. 

Don't keep us in suspense!

Update.

Checked the plug wires and order, again.  No issue.  Changed cap and rotor to old known functioning parts.  A bit better but not right.  I did notice that I assembled the rubber coupling between the air box and the intake wrong.  There was a gap at the underside of the connection.  Fixed that and it's much better.  Not sure if I got lucky or it was a combination of bad "new" parts and lean condition.  Interestingly even though it appeared to run really rich my O2 gage read lean.  That would account for the leak in the intake.

Not perfect but once the salt is gone on the roads I can properly warm it up and set timing, AF, etc. So for now happy.

Just now, John_in_VA said:

Is that a rev-limiting rotor, and is it new to the equation?  Some here (Paul W.) have pointed to them as a possible culprit for poor running.

Yes it is.  It was checked at Advanced when I had the distributor rebuilt.  I will swap the new part back in once its running the way I want and see if it is indeed part of the issue.

Yes it is.  It was checked at Advanced when I had the distributor rebuilt.  I will swap the new part back in once its running the way I want and see if it is indeed part of the issue.

It may sound worse on the video. I just adjusted the valves last year.

That's much smoother.

Exactly what  plugs are you running?

I wonder if your cold start valve was leaking and maybe fouled a plug, and then behaved. 

I'd pull all plugs and have a look. 

Cheers,

ps That bellows leak between the throttle body and the air filter canister should have made no  difference.

Edited by ray_
ps'd
  • Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

10 hours ago, ray_ said:

ps That bellows leak between the throttle body and the air filter canister should have made no  difference.

After I posted that I realized how dumb that was.  Just happy its back to a good place now.  Looking forward to spring to get it right.

That's much smoother.

Exactly what  plugs are you running?

I wonder if your cold start valve was leaking and maybe fouled a plug, and then behaved. 

I'd pull all plugs and have a look. 

Cheers,

Plugs are Bosch W7DC
  • Thanks 1

Given you have checked all the electrical issues...........

I think you have a vacuum leak. A big one, allowing a lot of false air into the system behind the butterfly.

Check the hose from the valve cover & under the plenum.

Check the brake booster hoses and if there is a crack in the check valve.

Doesn't a '74 have a vacuum line to a valve located on the air filter cannister and other assorted plumbing?

Check all air hoses at the warm up regulator at the back of the injection pump.

Check the vacuum line located at the throttle body to its termination point.