• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ain’t no cure for the winter time 2002 blues...

Nut Dragger

1 hour ago, 2002Scoob said:

and brought her an incontinence tray to go under the rear diff/transmission drain plugs to save her some dignity of staining the concrete of her temporary home till I can find her a more suitable workshop in the spring.

Made me laugh.  And coincidental that I'm refreshing my rear subframe at the moment.  After 10 days of dismantling and cleaning I'm ready to media-blast the parts.  Pictures will follow.

I've committed to refinishing the bottom of the car under the subframe as well.  Another big job while the weather is frosty.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

1 hour ago, 2002Scoob said:

I'd love to be pulling the rear subframe off and sending it for stripping and epoxy paint to match the front end, and get those stiff poly-mounts in there that I've been waiting to install.

Why doncha find another rear subframe that's ready for a refurbishment, strip it down and have it powder coated, then reassemble with nice new bushings in the warmth of your apartment?  Then come spring it'll be an easy R&R job--and you'll have a used one to sell to another 02er to do the same thing with. 

I overhauled many a smaller part in my college dorm room, and stored spare tires under my bed (when I could find used Michelins at the junkyard for $5 each!)

6 hours ago, irdave said:

I want a rack.

Years ago I bought a pair of aluminum, gutter mounted roof racks (long before Thule, etc) from  a Grumman boat dealer--meant to carry one of their canoes.  They were inexpensive and came with nylon hold-down straps (for the canoe).  I've carried everything from Christmas trees to 5 drawer file cabinets on that rack (before I got a truck) with no problems at all. 

Note:  If you leave a roof rack on your car all the time, it will seriously cut into your gas mileage, even when empty.

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, mike said:

then reassemble with nice new bushings in the warmth of your apartment? 

That's assuming you have an agree-able significant other.  ?

I'm lucky that I do.  My previous cohabitant left because she was sure I loved my car (parts) more than her.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

35 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

That's assuming you have an agree-able significant other.  ?

I'm lucky that I do.  My previous cohabitant left because she was sure I loved my car (parts) more than her.

Maybe one shouldn't ask questions one doesn't want to hear the answer to...  :)

I had a girlfriend one time say,"If I could just get in as good as the dog..."  Ha!  Good luck!

• Haha 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Anna has been in hibernation down in town since Thanksgiving. There's no place for her up at Donner Summit as were getting pummeled by several feet of snow every week...3 or 4 feet on the way this week. I have a 1 car garage and that's where the xi goes

Meanwhile I've got the whole front of the motor and cooling system disassembled...plus the fuel injection apart for a FULL refresh by both Fairchild and H&R (Marty is rebuilding/shimming my leaky injectors)... 

and meanwhile I'm doing my AC "project" parts and interior assembly' on the living room floor.

My 'other' "departed" to a better place a few years ago leaving me to absolutely abuse the entire house with 2002 parts and assembly. She's looking down on me probably saying OMG lol as I watch football and play with my 2002 toys at the same time.

It's all in prep for my dream drive next summer..I'll be trying to  recreate my 1981 semi epic surf trip down 1 through Big Sur all the way to Cabo San Lucas..

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I'd suggest a Thule rack. 

010.thumb.JPG.4f8d9a34b3e68f9191008f9cc64ceb27.JPG

Mine rides in the trunk and comes out as needed.

026.thumb.JPG.d895c59a3706c57807b32b12c8f438c3.JPG

051.thumb.JPG.88c93d4fcccc37703d27ad24ee744c1f.JPG

( can't have too many poly tarp carports )

Around here, they stripe the roads with a salt solution whenever temps drop near freezing.  No precipitation needed.  Sore topic.  My car will come out again, once we get another inch or so of rain to wash it off.

I really want a retro style rack but being able to have it in trunk for use at any moment is tickling my fancy

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 8:57 PM, Nut Dragger said:

Hey FAQ tribe,

just popping in after recent snow and temps in the teens and low 20’s

here in the Delaware Valley. it’ll be a few months before car I get back on the road.

No salty road exposure now they  started treating the roads for winter driving.

i will have to survive on the occasional star upwarm up session s to get me through.

i wish you all well.

Jun 

Nut Dragger 

03EBA6F6-4942-406A-B586-3BE99B6181B5.jpeg

4748C2D4-AD5F-4B56-9E84-9B95EF41B33B.jpeg

4B247B96-2102-474B-BEE8-8FDDA46A9804.jpeg

Mr. Nut Dragger,

Are your bumpers cut ? ?

The front looks tucked and thinner...?

I like the wheels...looks nice.

Light is seriously underrated.

I actually don't mind the winter time.  Time to get to know my car. 

Redoing rear subframe and all suspension bits (back in car already), front subframe, fuel tank, fuel lines (done), restore Silver-Dollar Instrument gages (done), fix speedo (done), new carpet, headliner, repair seat cables (done), windshields, replace entire brake system (done with Cunifer lines, new booster, new MC), new water pump, thermostat, POR and paint parts of engine bay (done), 38/38 Weber, new Manifold (done), rewire parts of car, etc.  We'll see how much gets done before the driving season.

Most of it comes from "while you're in there" but it is very therapeutic for me.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SteveDraz said:

I actually don't mind the winter time.  Time to get to know my car. 

Redoing rear subframe and all suspension bits (back in car already), front subframe, fuel tank, fuel lines (done), restore Silver-Dollar Instrument gages (done), fix speedo (done), new carpet, headliner, repair seat cables (done), windshields, replace entire brake system (done with Cunifer lines, new booster, new MC), new water pump, thermostat, POR and paint parts of engine bay (done), 38/38 Weber, new Manifold (done), rewire parts of car, etc.  We'll see how much gets done before the driving season.

Most of it comes from "while you're in there" but it is very therapeutic for me.

That’s all nice but you can’t beat a nice exhaust note with a bit of wind in ya face and the charming scents of history, gas and oil in the air...

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 11:01 AM, tashakes said:

What's this "winter" and "salty roads" you guys keep bitchin about???  ?

This winter and salty road stuff is the source of my current emotional slump...like a little kid on punishment looking out the window at his neighbors playing... I have to sit idle while the urge to scamper about swells with in me.... I jus wanna go out and play.

• Like 1