• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bavaria control arms questions

Hello all,

I looking to improve cornering at autocross and I want to add camber to my car and am thinking of the Bavaria arm swap. I am thinking going this way instead of adjustable camber plates because I like my ride height and spring firmness, and it is my understanding that adjustable plates will raise the car slightly, and if I cut the springs to bring it back down it will make it stiffer. 

I currently have the fixed camber plates. 

My my questions are, how badly do the Bavaria arms make the car follow grooves in the road? (Trammlining?)

And how much worse is tire wear under normal driving?

The car is a sunny day driver, and sees 1-2 Auto-x a month during the nicer months

Thanks,

John

4 hours ago, Johnny Riviera said:

My questions are, how badly do the Bavaria arms make the car follow grooves in the road? (Trammlining?)

Tires have the most direct influence on tramlining.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Unsure of toe at this time. It doesn’t follow grooves now, I just worry about dialing in too much camber and having to fight the pavement. 

Fixed IE plates are adding 5/8 degree

i think the Bavaria arms give you 2 degrees

Currently running the IE fixed plates, BavAuto springs, Billy sports, IE bars, 13x6’s with Federal 205/60’s. Hoping to get a second set of 13x6’s for a set of

Toyo RA-1’s

OK. So then this is really a philosophical question as to what is it that you "want" as opposed to what you need to suit your objective.

I wrote a long winded tome about my suspension experiences, but tabled it. After thought, I would recommend that a good place to start is to spend the money for Harry's Lap Timer ($40?) for your phone or tablet, learn how to use the graphing functions and do a little bit of casual data collection to KNOW some of your cars capabilities before you make changes, In that way, you KNOW the benefit (or not) of each change you try, regardless of cost.

Thanks for all the great info and suggestions! I will read the article tonight. The "want/need" is a great question. I guess what I'm trying to do is lessen the understeer when I push hard. In Auto-x I rear lose the rear, but often push the front. I've tried tightening up the rear bar with little effect. Staggering air pressure front to rear helps. I know these cars lack proper camber, especially when lowered a little. My thought is if I can keep more rubber on the ground during cornering it would help.

At a car control clinic, 1988 IIRC, Steve Dinan suggested this for my flared 02. Stopped by the wrecking yard on the way home and got a set.

3 degrees. 

Noticable on autocross and track. Street feel was fine, especially if you drive the same way. Tire wear on the inside edges is balanced by the outside edges during competition.

Best part was people seeing the negative camber and trying to figure out how it was done without camber plates.

Arms bolt right up. Get the longer drag links with the arms. Those take a little umph to get in place.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes