• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Velocity Stacks, Air Trumpet Request For 2002ti or 1600ti

BritshIron

Happy Holidays to all! I've got a 1600ti tribute project underway, and am going to mount an original air can to the Solex PHH 40 carburetors. My mechanic has an old head, so we did a test fit yesterday. We discovered that the air horns that came with the carburetors are apparently from a New Class car, or something other than a 2002ti or 1600ti. I'd like for all the velocity stacks to slant toward the receivers in the air can, and these stacks don't allow for such a clean installation.

Does anyone have a set of air trumpets for a 2002ti or 1600ti they'd be willing to sell? I may be able to get by with these, but I'd prefer them all to slant in the same direction! Thanks so much for your help. Aloha, Robert

IMG_2537.jpg

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2538.jpg

Your air cleaner looks like an NK style. You might struggle to get this to fit. The ti filter housing has a dimple in the bottom for the air cleaner and the outlets are staggered. 

There is a good thread on here somewhere that shows the differences. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

23 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Your air cleaner looks like an NK style.

I believe Simeon is correct.  Attached is a pic of some of the versions.  A, B, and C are from the 1600/2002.  D is NK and E is the tii version.  The perpendicular angle of the NK version can be made to work though you might need longer accordion hoses.

Versions of Air Boxes.jpg

• Like 2

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Here's the same air box, upside down and dismantled, along with some additional parts. The air box was marked "2002ti" with a felt pen, but maybe the vendor really did not know what he was selling. These subtleties are fascinating. Anyway, I think we can make the air box work, regardless of it's origin.  It is a tribute car project--and a number of parts won't be exactly OEM.

I would like to try for the slanted air trumpets, and very much appreciate all the help. And, thanks for your other comments!

Aloha, Robert

IMG_2502.jpg

57 minutes ago, MOJOJOY said:

C belongs to a 1600ti with the remote servo 

Yes, that one is an anomaly as there is no indentation for the brake booster and others have said the same thing about it.  

2 hours ago, BritshIron said:

Here's the same air box, upside down and dismantled, along with some additional parts.

You are very lucky as all those parts seem to be OEM for the 2-door ti's.  The linkage appears to be NOS and even the fuel pumps are original style if I am not mistaken.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

8 hours ago, halboyles said:

the fuel pumps are original style if I am not mistaken.

The fuel pumps are for a 1600ti. The outlet for the 2002ti fuel pump faced the same direction as the intake. There were differences in how they routed the fuel hoses between the two models which caused them to modify the pump.

1600ti/1600/1600-2 Fuel Pump

A09280D8-9C44-4B39-A88C-C17BFCB0807C.thumb.jpeg.4b6e0a2e256ff286f6818ba2844381ea.jpeg

2002ti Fuel Pump:

E717D1F3-5037-46C2-A47D-995CD65D3ED7.jpeg.e3e33dc89bd846bc6d12ac422c3b34de.jpeg