• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump leaking

grizzlebar

Need some help and tapatalk search isn’t being useful at the moment.

Started my car in the first time in what feels like forever and noticed a small leak coming from the bottom of the fuel pump. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to look for? Can these pumps be rebuilt?

2106ba568e7bfb91306f9ce5555252fa.jpg

The pump you picture looks like the sealed variety used on later cars.  They can't be rebuilt, but before pitching it, stuff a big dry rag underneath the pump to catch any gas that runs out, then unscrew the fastener in the middle of the pump's filter cover. 

Underneath you'll find (surprise!) a filter screen.  The cover has a seal (cork or a big rubber O-ring).  Make sure that cover seal (or a loose cover) isn't the source of your gas leak before discarding the pump.  But if the leak is from the crimped seam or anywhere else but that cover, it's new pump time. 

The pump is conveniently placed so that gas dripping from the pump will drip on the alternator, an excellent source of sparks.  And we all know what air + gas + sparks equal:  in this case, external combustion...

mike  

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, mike said:

And we all know what air + gas + sparks equal:  in this case, external combustion...

In BMWs case it was a new car sale. Planned obsolescence (or destruction). 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I wonder how long this mechanical pump has been in service. Although I have read about it happening, I have never had or observed one fail. Installing an electric pump is a non-trivial undertaking (if done correctly/safely), provides no performance improvement and they seem to have a substantially higher failure rate. I have no statistics on this- just anecdotal info from postings here and elsewhere over the years

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

I wonder how long this mechanical pump has been in service. Although I have read about it happening, I have never had or observed one fail. Installing an electric pump is a non-trivial undertaking (if done correctly/safely), provides no performance improvement and they seem to have a substantially higher failure rate. I have no statistics on this- just anecdotal info from postings here and elsewhere over the years

Well aside from the small leak it still works like a champ :)

I may take my old one apart and see if I can reseal it.

Sometime in the future I’m going to probably be going the Holley EFI route, so this pump is just to get me to that point.