• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noises from the gas tank

Fraidknots

The level sensor has a "stilling well" can held on with a small nut at the bottom.  The nut could have come off and the can is clanking around.  Remove the pickup/sensor assembly and take a look.

Use the usual safety precautions because it's dealing with an open fuel tank with gasoline in it.  Grounding, ventilated area outside, etc.

Edited by jimk
  • Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

It could be Jimmy Hoffa's ring, maybe, but if you are getting the sound with anything but a full tank I think Jim hit the nail on the head the filter ring wouldn't make much noise with fuel in the tank until it's pretty empty IMHO, it also might be pieces of a broken locking fuel cap.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Maybe it's a gasoline-soaked stash from a previous owner....

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

OK.... mystery solved!!  So I opened up the gas tank this weekend after disconnecting and removing the trunk mounted battery..... Much to my disappointment, there was no stash from a prior owner or hidden treasure.  Instead I found an extra 2 inch aluminum pickup tube floating around. Didn't take very much to grab it with a couple of long pieces of thin wood and pull it out.  My question is; who the f....k drops something like that in there and doesn't make the effort to take it out?

There it is!!  Thanks for the input everyone.

Tank 1.jpg

That's the fuel gauge well, should only be 1 involved if there are two one fell off not uncommon and the PO just replaced it with another instead of fishing it out and reattaching it there may be a very small locknut in there also.  

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944