• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bimmer_b
Go to solution Solved by Tommy,

Ana I'm glad you posted again. I also had trouble with my new door seals. I ended using a quality clear Silicone glue from Napa combined with 6 really small 'C Clamps to keep them in place while the Silicone dried. I left the clamps on for 3 days. Done right the silicone holds the seals in like a vice'. Same on my hood and trunk seals...they are SOLID

Here's a pic of my Late model wheels with Factory trim rings on my 73tii. They came out exactly the way I wanted. Just like a 72tii I once had with the same combo. I think the combo gives the car a bit of class

The Replica Mud flaps and Pirelli CN 36 tires

complete the look I was going for

ps: A white roundie tii has been on my bucket list for a long time. You are so lucky! 

I'm not sure how many there are but I've only seen one in person. Eventually I was going to strip my Malaga and paint it Chamonix! Imagine that NOT painting it Colorado or Golf.............

IMG_4837 (1).JPG

IMG_4953.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

Edited by iinca
  • Like 2

I saw it mentioned recently (not here) that someone had used 3M double-sided tape to mount door seals. An interesting option, if it works!

Cheers,

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

6 hours ago, iinca said:

Ana I'm glad you posted again. I also had trouble with my new door seals. I ended using a quality clear Silicone glue from Napa combined with 6 really small 'C Clamps to keep them in place while the Silicone dried. I left the clamps on for 3 days. Done right the silicone holds the seals in like a vice'. Same on my hood and trunk seals...they are SOLID

Here's a pic of my Late model wheels with Factory trim rings on my 73tii. They came out exactly the way I wanted. Just like a 72tii I once had with the same combo. I think the combo gives the car a bit of class

The Replica Mud flaps and Pirelli CN 36 tires

complete the look I was going for

ps: A white roundie tii has been on my bucket list for a long time. You are so lucky! 

I'm not sure how many there are but I've only seen one in person. Eventually I was going to strip my Malaga and paint it Chamonix! Imagine that NOT painting it Colorado or Golf.............

IMG_4837 (1).JPG

IMG_4953.jpg

Malaga is such a cool color though! You should keep it the stock color. I'm digging those mud flaps too!

I used the 3m super weatherstrip adhesive and the trunk seal is tight. I wish I could have found some C clamps, they would have held much better than the angle of the clothes pins, but it worked out ok. The door seal I glued last night I will inspect again today to see if it held, it was much harder to keep pressure on it and Ill probably get something else to hold the other side down tonight when I do that one. Running the seal in the upper channels was such a PIA haha. 

Ana B. 

Check out my 2002tii restoration :D 

More random BMW/2002Tii Posts ? https://www.instagram.com/bimmer_b/

10 minutes ago, jgerock said:

I might have one of those center grill brackets.  Just have to find it again...

Car is looking great?  Will you add a roof rack for your bikes??

Thanks! I actually was thinking of some type of rack. I think my bikes might be too heavy though, and I don't know if i'd be able to mount a true bike rack to the roof.I think that's a long ways off anyways, after body is complete I still need to get the interior done. Speaking of, do you know where I might be able to find stock or reproduction material to have the seats redone?

Ana B. 

2 minutes ago, bimmer_b said:

Thanks! I actually was thinking of some type of rack. I think my bikes might be too heavy though, and I don't know if i'd be able to mount a true bike rack to the roof.I think that's a long ways off anyways, after body is complete I still need to get the interior done. Speaking of, do you know where I might be able to find stock or reproduction material to have the seats redone?

If your car has stock black or marine blue seats, contact Paul Wegweiser at Maximillian for the raw materials. Otherwise, World Upholstery has covers.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

4 minutes ago, bimmer_b said:

The owners manual should have the allowable roof loading weight in the back specs section.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I spent a whole day  my first attempt at a door seal. I finally found a plastic trim tool kit off Amazon that would help with the 'channel'part and not hurt the rubber. It was slow going about a 1/3" at a time! A lot of a naughty words came out of my mouth as I struggled with the drivers' side lol.

I tried all the fancy 3M glues but the seals kept peeling off in the tight sections. The clear silicone saved me. Its  a for 'life' type of glue... but it did take longer to dry...I bought the C Clamps to handle that job. The results were close to perfect

I love Chamonix! It's so classic. We're not talking about the early creamy Cham' but the one that looks like BMW Alpine White. It hides dust, dirt and most importantly the POLLEN....which is curse up here in the pines.

Pic is forum member Lebowski's car. He's the unofficial OG Trim Ring Mafia leader. Check out his rack. Nice rack eh lol?

Slots and Rings is not everyone's cup of tea but to me it's the look I wanted....classy. Another fact is that if you ding up a late model Slotted rim they are EASY to replace.

imageproxy (11).jpg

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, eurotrash said:

Ana, I haven’t had time to comment, but I wanted to pop in and tell you that the car looks amazing, and I think what you’re doing is a fitting and wonderful tribute.. to both family, father and all their history together.  I love it. Keep on keepin on. 

.. good call on the intermediary wheels, btw. Maybe see if the beauty rings are still available. That will set them off nicely, and tie in the bright work. (As seen here on the #beersnob02 at Vintage back in ‘16.)

Cheers!

(Jason Gipson)

158BBE8D-7130-473B-9522-4F248EC93163.jpeg

Thanks Jason ? I actually had a set of the rings which I installed a few months ago. I’ve done more to the car than what’s posted here, but I am a terrible forum thread updater haha. 

Ana B. 

5 hours ago, ray_ said:

I saw it mentioned recently (not here) that someone had used 3M double-sided tape to mount door seals. An interesting option, if it works!

Cheers,

I used 3m double sided tape for my door and trunk seals, After finishing cleaning off all the old glue I wanted to avoid using glue at all costs. It sticks great to the metal, and comes off fairly easily if need be. It doesn't always stick well to the seal itself though, in  a couple of spots I had to remove the tape and try again with new tape. There may be a better type of tape than the one I used that wouldn't have that issue, but it still works pretty well, 1.5 years in and still sticking.

Also for the under hood insulation to avoid glue I lined the backside of the pads with magnets and then glued a layer of vinyl over that side.

Got other door seal in, although I suspect both seals have shrunken a bit unfortunately. Also installed the antenna mount and clip and remembered I had a set of sport springs sitting around so now I’m excited to get this to work eventually and install them. (I usually post everything on my Instagram bimmer_b since it’s easier so excuse the tagged photos. I’ll take real ones soon)

351119C5-7012-42BA-86BE-B90041E17CF4.jpeg

• Like 1

Ana B.