• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii: Fun Alternative For NLA Part

I see what you’ve done here and I can appreciate it.  However, a couple years ago, as a new owner of a Tii, I would have no idea of what I was looking at.  Some discription wouldn't hurt with posts like this for the 70+% of readers who visit the forum and don’t post or who aren’t in the know.  

Just a suggestion and no offense meant. 

• Like 1

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

26 minutes ago, tomphot said:

Just a suggestion and no offense meant. 

:) No offense taken.  

For those that haven't dismantled your tii for fun or necessity you are looking at the bottom of the throttle body on the intake side of the engine.  The throttle body regulates the amount of air entering the engine.  Or at least it is supposed to.  Often air leaks occur causing poor running issues.  The bottom of the butterfly (throttle plate) is a potential culprit for "uncontrolled" air entering the system.

The factory installed a rubber cap with a wire clip to seal the bottom of the shaft.  The cap and clip are most often missing on an old tii.  They are also NLA.  For this reason I sourced these chair leg feet for less than a dollar each.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I need to spend more time with the parts manual seeking out all the little bits and bobs my car lacks.  I've never seen this, and never even thought to look, despite having had a tii nearly 20 years. 

Maybe we should start a thread about smallish bits and bobs that one might not think to look for - stuff like this, the grommets with the door on the lock linkage, the hooks at the corner of the roundie grills. . .  

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

30 minutes ago, Glen Karr said:

Paul,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  Checked with my inspection mirror and do not have the cap or clip.  Found the same chair leg caps on Amazon.  Getting ready to order.

Glen

I haven't tried installing a cap on a TB still on the engine.  Might require removing  #2 and/or #3 runners.  A little grease in the cap will help.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, PaulTWinterton said:

I haven't tried installing a cap on a TB still on the engine.  Might require removing  #2 and/or #3 runners.  A little grease in the cap will help.

Paul,

Picked up 4 of the leg caps at the hardware store.  Mine are white but they look good.  To install the cap I removed the expansion bellows from the air cleaner and throttle body.  Greased up the cap and squeezed my hand in there and pushed up on the cap.  Seated pretty far up so it should have a good seal.  Now to see if it makes a difference.  Were you able to see a difference?

Glen