• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Graffiti-2002 connection

Mike Self

I was looking at a "making of American Graffiti" clip on You tube and ran across an interview with George Lucas and several of the movie's actors.  One with Paul LeMat (he played John Milner with the yellow Deuce Coupe) opens with Paul and a girl sitting in a sunroof roundie 2002.  Here's the clip, look for it at 2:31.  This is not part of the movie, but an interview sometime later.

mike  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

One of my favorite movies.  Everything stops when this one is on tv.

Thanks for posting, fun to watch.

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

One of my favorites too, as I actually did graduate from high school in 1962 (yeah, do the math!)--just on the other coast (Ft Lauderdale), and I married my prom date (we're still married too).  The whole movie--plus a lot of excerpts are on youtube.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

When I watched it, I managed to have nostalgia for a time when I was just three years old. I definitely remembered the look and feel of that era through my little person's view of the world.

Universal Studios was reluctant to release the film. They didn't know what to do with it. (!) The budget was held to $770,000. It has returned more than $150 million. Many of the crew worked for free and for film credits at the end of the movie. Cars used in the filming could be had for as little as $25/day. Filming was done very quickly in Petaluma, Modesto and other sites throughout California. 

Edited by Jim_75Sahara

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

2 hours ago, fastricky said:

Good eye! Clearly that was just a temp car used during casting or run thru's

Car used in rehearsals with Mackenzie Phillips, very nice original door panel and trap mirror.  More reading here...

http://kipsamericangraffiti.blogspot.com/2010/09/casting-american-graffiti.html

Mark92131

lemat rehearsal crop.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Good video Mike...thanks for posting.  I lived that time as well although more in the 60's...George Lucas doesn't appear to know that cruising in the 60's with Muscle Cars was HUGE!!!!! I wish I still had my '55 Chevy and my 1 of 612 L78 396 1967 Chevelle!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"