• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your NK this week?

21 hours ago, brbrian73 said:

An Ireland Engineering manifold would have made life a little easier because they aren't as deep as the three other types I tried, but those are out of stock. The solution was to swap out the original booster in favor of one from a 2002tii. A lot of 02 guys do this and it was definitely called for in my case. Even with that, it is a really tight fit in the NK. There is just enough room to connect 45 degree air filter elbows from Kooglewerks. Fortunately they are local and I ran across town to pick up a freshly machined set from Forrest himself. 

4FCB28D7-D843-4936-8538-0C5D8B757975.jpeg

@brbrian73 I just got an IE manifold two weeks ago from them over the phone, when it was listed "out of stock" on their site.  I can't recall if he said I got the last one or not, but I know I got their last shorty header (to use on my NK).  It doesn't hurt to give them a call on either, if you're interested.  A few NKs have showed-up with IE's "shorty header" now and it seems to fit just fine...it's designed to connect to the factory downpipe on an '02, so should bolt right up.  Love your setup...glad I saw your notes on the Tii booster, I've been wondering what to do...

Edited by duggi

'67 BMW 2000 (Chamonix)

'68 BMW 2000 (Granada)

'84 BMW 528e, '87 BMW 325is, '15 535i, '18 M3cs

19 hours ago, duggi said:

@brbrian73 I just got an IE manifold two weeks ago from them over the phone, when it was listed "out of stock" on their site.  I can't recall if he said I got the last one or not, but I know I got their last shorty header (to use on my NK).  It doesn't hurt to give them a call on either, if you're interested.  A few NKs have showed-up with IE's "shorty header" now and it seems to fit just fine...it's designed to connect to the factory downpipe on an '02, so should bolt right up.  Love your setup...glad I saw your notes on the Tii booster, I've been wondering what to do...

You're absolutely right about following up with IE regarding items listed as out of stock. If the Supersprint set doesn't work out, I may reach out to them about their shorty headers. Jim Huff's Gray Ghost is one of the NKs successfully using them. 

One more tip on the clearance issue with the booster: while the air filter elbows just cleared the tii booster, we adjusted a motor mount slightly to give a couple more millimeters. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brbrian73 said:

One more tip on the clearance issue with the booster: while the air filter elbows just cleared the tii booster, we adjusted a motor mount slightly to give a couple more millimeters. 

Thank you for this...I assume that you either shaved the passenger side mount somehow or shimmed the driver's side?

I may actually have a potential lead on a rare 2000ti booster, which should be even more ideal (from what I can tell) than the 2002tii booster, so fingers are crossed there.

'67 BMW 2000 (Chamonix)

'68 BMW 2000 (Granada)

'84 BMW 528e, '87 BMW 325is, '15 535i, '18 M3cs

57 minutes ago, duggi said:

Thank you for this...I assume that you either shaved the passenger side mount somehow or shimmed the driver's side?

I may actually have a potential lead on a rare 2000ti booster, which should be even more ideal (from what I can tell) than the 2002tii booster, so fingers are crossed there.

here is a picture from my NK with mounted 40‘Webers and the Brakebooster. Its a 2002tii booster and the funnels have a hight from 40mm. its very close... i will also oder a set of kooglewerks elbows. ?

2FEA8B75-B1D8-4227-8458-7708F4F84C73.jpeg

B7768E6D-82C1-4115-B26B-DC07D59E0976.jpeg

• Like 2

• Alpina
2 hours ago, brbrian73 said:

You're absolutely right about following up with IE regarding items listed as out of stock. If the Supersprint set doesn't work out, I may reach out to them about their shorty headers. Jim Huff's Gray Ghost is one of the NKs successfully using them. 

I can attest that the Only02 or IE SHORTY headers work on early nks as well as late nks. The downpipe to center section might have to be tweaked a bit. At least with the 5sp it does on early subframe nks. I had to bend downwards the downpipe as it was hitting the 245 tranny! 

Pics from old 69 2000 Florida 

1B6667CE-EA53-4110-B79C-87AF14C902A2.jpeg

DC0B2DB5-E0F8-493B-B723-DA6E26C668C2.jpeg

E71A1721-AFB0-4D2C-9775-DE800E2060A6.jpeg

• Like 3

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)

5 hours ago, duggi said:

I should have specified in my last post. Yes, we shimmed the driver's side a bit. Good luck with your pursuit of the 2000ti booster!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I finally got around to installing the rear shocks I bought last year from Carl Nelson at La Jolla Independent. The car rides a lot better; the old shocks needed to go.

What makes the story a bit interesting is that I had installed the same shocks (Bilstein HD) 9 years ago and they wore out. I drive the car lightly, but while I was in the Caribbean for 4 years the car spent a lot of time sitting with about 300 lbs of junk in it, mostly in the trunk. Carl said that should not have mattered but so much sitting around may have caused the seals to dry out.  Hard to say except I am happy to have changed them.

Also changed the tranny oil. A blowhard recently told me, “I’ve seen people run 200K miles without changing the tranny oil.” Maybe he has, but I wonder what kind of shape any transmission would be in after such high mileage running the same oil.

• Like 1

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

• 2 months later...

Attended a German car show in Boerne, Texas (just north of San Antonio).

Lots of Porsche’s but other interesting cars, too. Both Barney and I placed in the judging. 

6F796E48-1780-4CAF-8DD7-A2786022A4A9.jpeg

195B1D9E-4C82-4A79-B55F-E5D73AE0B750.jpeg

F42A7595-44A5-4821-98D3-75107BFCCF2F.jpeg

963D2D87-2A33-4B1F-96C5-C8B88BB2BB38.jpeg

A4DF60D1-B608-4C14-88A8-2D9B1DB4559B.jpeg
6C418B3A-476B-4836-A842-D599F2BDFBBD.jpeg

Ed

• Like 2

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

• 3 months later...