• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

first bmw 2002!

glyif

Just got my first bmw 2002! It's a 1973, decent shape. Some cosmetic rust. Engine just swapped out with an M10 with 100k miles, few other parts replaced as well. Original paint :)

Car has some damage to the front left fender, attached a pic :)

Car has a minor oil leak and coolant leak I think. Getting that fixed later this week.

Planning on ripping entire interior and redoing.

Runs great though!

Oh forgot to mention, it has 15 in BBS wheels.

Super noob when it comes to BMWs and 2002s, will be asking a lot of questions here ;)

Any tips?

Looking forward to meeting you allfce5ddb6c024210a1705fe50baa18860.jpge27a6f81a973c54dbf3e1f311e1e91a3.jpg012a7f6b20cc2bb964cd95dc12a34276.jpg2c411eaad05a3e1144ef4304a6cb9db5.jpg08c07de152610fd2b324e1566669ec89.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Congratulations! I assume that you are somewhere in California. You're in luck, there are lots of 2002 owners in your state and a number of shops that cater to classic BMW owners. 

First word of advice: make sure that your '02 is safe & reliable. Worry about the looks of your car later on... You must have good brakes, shocks, tires, hoses, belts, etc. Make sure that the cooling system is doing its job properly. Take it out on relatively short drives to shake out the trouble spots. The more you drive it, the more you will notice things that are amiss and need attention. Also, get in touch with local '02 owners; they'll be very happy to help you and will be eager to include you in the fun of ownership. Pretty quickly, your goal will be true road-worthiness: i.e. - - going on road trips with friends, gatherings with like-minded 2002 owners... 

Have FUN.

• Like 2

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Welcome to the fraternity/sorority...lotsa good advice on the board and it the archives; take advantage of both to educate yourself.  

It appears to be an automatic that's been converted (hopefully) to a 5 speed or at least a 4 speed.  If the VIN begins with a 253 rather than a 258/259, then it was originally an automatic as the badge on the rear panel says.  

+1 on Jim's comments above--get it good and mechanically reliable--and safe--then mess with the cosmetics. That crunched fender looks as if the car lost a wheel, which then jammed itself between the front suspension and the fender while the car was moving.  You might want to check the front suspension on that side just to make sure nothing under there is either bent or damaged.  

Nice E21 Recaros in front too.  BTW. if you ever decide to reupholster the back seat, PM me; I'd be interested in the old material--I'd use it to repair my original seats.  

Cheers, and again, welcome.

mike

PS--as folks on the board will tell you, that red valve cover is good for at least 10 mph additional top speed ;-)

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

@mike yup! converted to 5 spd manual. im gonna replace the brake pads and rotors this weekend. Car had bilstein structs and IE shocks. I'm def thinking about reupholstering the back, and def the front. i'll let you know :)