• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition Coil Resistor with Capacitor?

seattle2002tii

Purchased a 73 Tii a couple of months ago (replaces my 74 Tii).  Has a ignition coil resistor with odd capacitor? hanging off one of the terminals (see photo - blue capacitor).  Doesn't appear to be grounded very well.  This capacitor? doesn't appear in the BMW part diagrams.  Any reason for someone to add?  Is it stock?

Thanks for any help.

1 (4).jpg

Ray's got it...radio noise suppressor--especially for AM.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

A little Wikipedia reading is in order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applications_of_capacitors

Page down to: "Noise filters and snubbers"

Mount it to a ground and leave it alone.  Things are better with than without.

It works like the one on the rear of the alternator (if it hasen't been discarded by a no nothing)

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I think the edit button changed to some nondescript icon.... which looks like a pen, next to "promote to article."

:D

I can quote you, for prosperity :P

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

I think the edit button changed to some nondescript icon.... which looks like a pen, next to "promote to article."

Thanks Ray, you are a good thinker.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Cannot add anything regarding the capacitor, but if static on the AM channel is a problem then consider replacing the antenna if it is old.  I had this problem with the 1970 vintage Audiovox radio in my 71 02.  The guy at a local auto sound store said that antennas degrade over time and need to be replaced at some point.  I was skeptical but followed the advise and replaced my 46 year old antenna.  Made a huge improvement.  It worked for me.

I had the same question about the gizmo grounded to my strut mount and hooked to the coil. One of the guys here said it was for radio noise suppression. I removed it when I changed the coil, no issues, but I don’t listen to AM either. 

Robert

8A7711BE-19A1-44E5-A6E8-A8713C4605ED.thumb.jpeg.87362a26ae2298759cecf38ce56c3a33.jpeg