• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member in Chicago, 1967 1600

Johnny Haywire

That's a very good point, iinca. The fact that it's not a common color makes it even more appealing to keep it original, as well.

Small world, Robert, and thanks for the warm welcome! That's great that you saw it! Did you give it a close look by chance? I've not seen it in person for years.

- Paul

21 hours ago, Johnny Haywire said:

Small world, Robert, and thanks for the warm welcome! That's great that you saw it! Did you give it a close look by chance? I've not seen it in person for years.

Didn’t actually see the car. I recognized the street and house, I walk that way now and then. Looking forward to more posts after it arrives.

Robert

• Like 1

Really cool find! I love it when early cars come out of the woodwork!

I scanned the thread and saw some talk about the rear badge. That badge is incorrect for a june 67 car. They stopped using that badge (as well as a badge on the dash board) in late 66. That being said, it looks like it was installed where it should be and I'd leave it - looks great. I'd be interested to know how it ended up there...unusual for someone to backdate a car when it was newer, but that badge is much prettier than what should have been installed.

Good luck with your project! Don't hesitate to send me a PM if you run into any questions, i've learned a lot about the early cars over the last few years. If you're up for traveling a bit you shold come down to KY/OH for one of the Rivertown Gear Busters Drives!

• Like 1

Thanks, guys. Cannot wait to get started on the 1600! Still no specific date yet, but I'm hoping it's here by Jan. 15

Jake, I'm reading through your 1967 1600 project blog now, great stuff! I'm just up to the point where they are finally spraying the Derby paint. I'm sure I'll have several questions for you!

Interesting point about the car being too new for that rear badge. I'm assuming I'll be able see evidence of the other mounting holes from inside the trunk. I'll definitely report back on that.

Would love to make a Gear Busters Drive!

- Paul

Thanks for posting this, Steve. I'm noticing that my car also has a few other discrepancies from the trim in this brochure. Mine does not have the textured hood trim shown here, and it also has 5 slats per kidney instead of 4. My best guess is that when it was repainted, damaged or pitted trim pieces were replaced with parts in better condition, regardless of correctness, just as long as they fit. But it's just a guess.

- Paul

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Haywire said:

.... I'm noticing that my car also has a few other discrepancies from the trim in this brochure. Mine does not have the textured hood trim shown here, and it also has 5 slats per kidney instead of 4. My best guess is that when it was repainted, damaged or pitted trim pieces were replaced with parts in better condition, regardless of correctness, just as long as they fit. But it's just a guess.

- Paul

Paul,

I’m confident you’re right!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Such a cool little 1600-2.  Congrats on your purchase!  She looks quite well preserved, so with a bit of love and attention, you'll soon have her looking pretty again.  
As others have already mentioned, the rear badge pre-dates your car, but those first-year badges are rare and imo look great, so I would keep it.  Besides, it would seem that the car has had this badge for the majority of its life now, so arguably its now become part of the cars history - regardless of whether its factory correct or not.
Good luck with it all...  ;)

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

I hope so, Steve!

Thanks, Anders! I do appreciate it. Looking very forward to getting started on it and enjoying the drive as I fix things up along the way. I really do like the early badge on there.

According to the records, it was repainted in 1987, so it's been on there at least that long.

Can't wait for it to get here so I can begin unraveling these mysteries!

• 4 weeks later...

If it arrives in good shape, I would be so excited, yes, I would tip driver.

I'd expect you're paying a fairly hi fee, but in this weather, for good service......

'course if it has salt spray all over, that's another story !

Nut (fka weevil)

My Claim To Fame - Worked On Harmon Fisher's Car !!! Yes the infamous 2002 F !!!

# 1 72 '02 Malaga, # 2 72 '02 Colorado, # 3 72 '02 Blue, # 4 72 '02 Malaga, # 5 72 tii, # 6 68 1602, # 17 68/76 '02 Custom Red, # 28 74 '02 Brown Metallic, 72 3.0 Csi, 73 3.0Csi, 80 735 Euro, 728 Parts Car

Thanks for the input, Nut. I'll definitely tip him.

And very good point - it's not cheap by any stretch, but I do have confidence in the shipper. Hoping for no salt spray at all and all contents in the trunk intact (my friend put the things I asked her to remove back in before it was picked up... whoops...), so we shall see. No word yet from the dispatcher.

6 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

I'm reading right ? They picked it up December 16th and taking over a month to deliver it to Chicago ?

You're reading right, JP. It was picked up on Dec. 15th or 16th and, if all goes well with the weather this weekend, it will arrive here on Jan. 20 or 21. I know, it sounds kind of ridiculous.

Here's why... So, once I bought it, I was pretty tempted to fly out and run it down to LA at some point and then come back to work on it in the spring and then drive it back to Chicago. After talking to my buddy in LA who has done these things before with me, and deciding against driving it home (due to having to wait until April or May and then having to make sure it's road ready in a short period of time while away from home, and the idea running a semi-sorted 50-year-old car with 4.11 gears for 2K miles in 3 or 4 days), I looked into shipping options, and was going to just put it out there on uShip. That same buddy's wife used to work for Nissan and dealt with an OEM shipper a lot (they are still friends) and she got a quote from him that was better than anything I was seeing on uShip for the same distance (2,200 miles).

I spoke with the shipper and, as long as I wasn't in a rush, he was happy to do it (I don't think they do privately owned cars, just manufacturer stuff). He told me they'd pick it up when they were in the Bay Area, store it at their hub down in Torrance, then it would head to their other hub in Tennessee with the next shipment, and then they'd deliver it to Chicago when they had an shipment headed up to my area.

Sorry for the novella, but that's the long and short of it.

Hoping it comes on Saturday. Supposed to be dry and in the 40s here.

It hasn't been mentioned here for a few days, but one more vote for restoring the Manila paint color. Here's a '68 1600 that I regrettably sold about 20 years ago, the following owners have been quite kind to it:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-bmw-1600/

It did have the original brown seats when I sold it, but they were showing a lot of wear even then.

Jerry

Jerry

no bimmer, for now