• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member in Chicago, 1967 1600

Johnny Haywire

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a '67 1600-2 and am pretty excited to get started on it. However, the car is still in California awaiting shipping to Chicago.

Long story short: a friend of mine bought the car in the Bay Area around 10 years ago. She had considered selling it a few times and I told her to let me know if she ever decided to let it go. Well, that call finally came a few weeks ago. We worked out a deal, and she drove it to another friend's place to store it until I could arrange shipping. And that's pretty much where I stand right now. Shipping has been arranged, just waiting for it to happen.

It's a California black plate car that has been repainted in the '80s (as you can see in the photos). It does have maintenance records going back to 1970, which is really great. Has seats from a 2002 and a Weber carb on it (I'm guessing a single barrel). Head was redone with a 1975 (?) head in the late '70s. Oil pressure and volt meter gauges were added at some point. Runs, drives and stops. Unsure of original color. The paint code tag is missing, but it seems to be a cream color on the underside of the hood and in the engine bay.

VIN number seems early, 152XXXX.

At any rate, I will keep you guys posted on the progress of getting it here. Looking forward to learning more and getting to know you all. I've had vintage cars for years but this is my first BMW.

Here are a few pics that my friend sent me.

- Paul

IMG_5538.JPG

IMG_5546.JPG

IMG_5551.JPG

IMG_5555.JPG

• Like 1

Congrats on your purchase! Looks like the car has some details from the elusive '66 models. Hard to tell but it looks like the bottom half of the car is granada red and the top half is polaris silver? Let me know when it gets to town, I'd love to come by and see it (I'm in the city). 

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

Neat looking car.  Has several features that mark it as early.  Post more pictures when it arrives.  Un-molested early cars are a treat.  Has it been converted to 12 volts?

And...get it all driveable and bring it to Mid America 02Fest--late April in Eureka Springs AR.  There should be several other Chicago area folks going so you can join their caravan--and if you wish, meet up with ours, coming from Dayton. 

cheers, and welcome to the fraternity/sorority

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys, I do appreciate it. I'll make sure to drop you a line when it gets here, FunElan. And thanks for the heads-up, Mike - I'm putting the 02Fest on my calendar. It would be great to make it there.

I did notice the rear badging is indicative of an early one, but I otherwise I'm a newbie to the fine details. Feel free to point out anything you notice!

Not sure about whether it has been converted to 12V or not. I asked my friend, but she wasn't sure, so I guess it'll just be a surprise once it gets here. I'd say there's a 50/50 chance. If so, I hope it's done right. I saw in the maintenance records that it has an MSD-5 electronic ignition on it. Haven't been able to find any info on 6V versions of that, but I haven't looked to deeply into it.

I have a few more pics and I'll post a few below, but unfortunately, they are the kind of pics a friend who isn't a gearhead would take, so... it's what we have to go on for now. I'm going to ask for a few more before it gets picked up, hopefully some shots of the battery, alt/gen, etc.

There's also a bummer of a rust spot just below the kink on the driver's side rear window. I don't think that's gonna buff out :/ See below...

IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_5539.JPG

IMG_5550.JPG

FullSizeRender 6.jpg

It appears to now have 12 volt electrics, although it's hard to tell--what looks like the original 6 volt voltage regulator is in place above the battery next to the radiator, but there's also what looks like a 12 volt voltage regulator in its customary place.  I can just make out what looks like the back side of an alternator peeking out from below the intake manifold.  

Along with the '74 cylinder head it got the 2 bbl carb (a Weber) and air cleaner.  From the invoice you pictured, you also have a 3.64 diff vs the original 4.11, but looks like the 4.11 was swapped back in 8 years later. 

If that's a 2002 cylinder head mated to a 1600 block, the exhaust ports are mismatched (the 1600 exhaust manifold has smaller passages than those in the head) so you might want to check that out.  2002 manifolds are easy to come by.  And if you want to go back to a 1600 head, I have one available.

It's nice having all those maintenance records...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Welcome to the madness!  Your car looks like a very nice survivor with upgrades made thru the years.  The seats are from a later car and I think it has a third brake light which most likely has prevented a rear collision.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Get the VIN off to BMW Group Archive <info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com> and see what the original colour was and the month of manufacture. From what you describe it could be a rare manilla car. Does it have the 1600 badge on the dash too? Be great if it's another '66 survivor. 

Thanks for the insights and info, guys!

Mike, I will definitely check that exhaust manifold to verify what it is. Definitely don't want a mismatch there. Hoping that the mechanic who did the work knew enough to do it right, but we shall soon see, eh? There are six pages of records like that, complete gold. Wish they were a bit more detailed, but still extremely valuable to have. Many thanks for the offer for the proper parts, I may well take you up on that.

Good eye on the third brake light, jgerock! I believe the seller had seats from a 2002 put in (doubt she has the originals, unfortunately) and I believe that the carpet was also replaced at some point. Hoping the floors underneath are in good shape.

Thanks for the info, Nick. I've just sent the VIN off to them. I'll keep you guys posted on what comes back. I don't have any pics of the passenger side dash but will ask for a few more to see if the badge is present when the car gets picked up.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_5554.JPG

IMG_5537.JPG

About that adjustable mirror - the original should sit more to the front on the early cars, and you look at it through the triangular window. Check if you have extra holes that were "closed", there should be one on the lip overhanging at the front of the door when it's open.

4 hours ago, tups said:

About that adjustable mirror - the original should sit more to the front on the early cars, and you look at it through the triangular window. Check if you have extra holes that were "closed", there should be one on the lip overhanging at the front of the door when it's open.

Extra holes for mirrors....that would be my original 69 driver's door.

IMG_7592.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 12/14/2017 at 4:45 AM, NickVyse said:

Get the VIN off to BMW Group Archive <info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com> and see what the original colour was and the month of manufacture. From what you describe it could be a rare manilla car. Does it have the 1600 badge on the dash too? Be great if it's another '66 survivor. 

Nick,

The VIN 152xxxx cars, as this was referred to in the initial posting, were manufactured in the February to June 1967 time frame.  And I agree on the exterior color.  Those “UPS brown” door cards, assuming they are original — and they look it — suggest a possible Manila or Sahara exterior to me.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

FunElan, good eye on catching that mirror adjustment stalk. I totally missed it. Hope it still works since there's a hole drilled in the door card for it ; )

Thanks for the warm welcome, Mars. I think we'll definitely be comparing notes! Looking forward to seeing yours. I will see if I can look it up on this forum.

Thanks for the heads-up and photos on the mirror placement, Tups. I will inspect for evidence of the OEM mounting holes and report back. Car's not here yet, still don't have an ETA, but hope to have one by early next week.

On a separate note, did you guys notes the "Save The Whales" emblem on the center console below the voltmeter? Actually, I think it says "Save The Whale." That's probably gonna stay put.

Here's another pic. Plants are kind of in better focus than the coil. I'm thinking more and more that this car has been converted to 12v.

Thanks again to all for everyone's input and kind words. I cannot wait to take possession and get started on her.

IMG_5558.JPG