• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2000CS tear down started today

zinz

What a beautiful legacy. We should all be so lucky to have time shared and cherished with our parents. You inspire us Ed. 

'76 Stone Gray 2002

'83 blue R80RT, '83 red R80RT,

'16 Alpine White Xdrive 328d Touring

BMW2002FAQ #502

Ed,

It is difficult to read the news of your father's passing. Like many, I have been enjoying following your restoration project and knowing that it was very much a father/son endeavor, made it even more special. My dad passed away almost six years ago and I miss him every day. The pain isn't as raw now but the void endures. I can say that the many memories you shared together will help you cope with the loss, today and tomorrow. 

My thoughts are with you.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jgerock said:

Looks like he enjoyed helping you with the cars.

Papa was a Ford man... he distinctly remembers and relished in telling the story of how Ford built the GT40 and whipped Ferrari at their own game after Enzo walked out on the buy-out negotiations.  Papa loved the GT40 all his life... I wish I could have arranged a ride in at least the 2nd Gen GT40...he would have been so thrilled.

On 4/2/2018 at 3:39 PM, darrinm1 said:

legacy

That's a word his sons are bouncing around right now and how we continue Papa's.... We have some ideas.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

• 4 months later...

Thank you to everyone for your kind words about my dad and for those helping me here locally. I can tell you, the first time I drove back to the shop to try and get some work done was not easy. I've had a lot of help from Barney and we have made progress on the odd work days. My free time is becoming more available and I know the ball will roll more quickly now. 

We fetched the car from the paint shop a couple months ago. The underside was treated with POR15 in the nooks and crannies. The bottom of the car is painted with the Galsurite Granada. The sub frames are painted chassis black. The engine is painted and aluminum buffed. Fuel tank was treated/sealed with RedKote and painted. As of last Saturday, the engine was mounted on the front subframe and installed on the car. Rear subframe and brakes were also installed. 

It's rolling on it's own wheels for the first time in about 10 months. We'll wrap the wiring harness next and then start installing lights, trim, and gas tank.

Things will happen more quickly now, but several items will keep us waiting, I'm sure... wood, headliner, and I have to have the flywheel machined to accept a diaphragm-style clutch...no biggie. 

Here's some pictures.

[âIMG]

[âIMG]

[âIMG]

79C250AA-A428-49CC-9520-E8D2A41D2559.jpeg

53A8A9B0-4B4B-4637-8084-F6771FEAB9ED.jpeg

F7E9DD99-9D8B-4AA7-B8A8-32B59E958167.jpeg

Yesterday it was off the rack and into the garage.  Wiring harness is about 75% wrapped at this point. 

Many thanks to Barney and Greg for his help yesterday.

Ed Z

Edited by zinz
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Hans said:

s it camera angle, or is the engine crooked? Even looks crooked from the bottom. Is it single circuit brakes?

We've been scratching our head about this... The new engine mounts installed and adjusted as far as they will alllow.. and the engine will not sit squarely on the subframe.  I don't like it at all... Some have said to simply mount the transmission and twist it into position, but I don't relish the idea of pre-loading the rubber mounts like that.  Not sure what else I can do, as we haven't been able to solve the problem yet.

Single line brakes...yep.  

Ed

3 minutes ago, zinz said:

We've been scratching our head about this... The new engine mounts installed and adjusted as far as they will alllow.. and the engine will not sit squarely on the subframe.  I don't like it at all... Some have said to simply mount the transmission and twist it into position, but I don't relish the idea of pre-loading the rubber mounts like that.  Not sure what else I can do, as we haven't been able to solve the problem yet.

Single line brakes...yep.  

Ed

Ed- do you have older "before" pictures for comparison?  Is it the same subframe?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

if the trans is not mounted yet, the engine will sit at an odd angle (only the 2 mounts).  Once the trans is mounted, at the correct location (height and centered), the engine should sit in bay correctly and straight.  BMW designed it with engine load, in mind when they positioned the mounts, and for the engine and trans mounted together..

Cheers,

M

Keep in mind the keep the hardware to the mounts loose until engine/trans are installed, align and tighten hardware.

Edited by Schnellvintage
Added info
  • Like 1

It's the same subframe, Jim.  We pulled the engine/transmission out the top last year, so I have no good comparison pictures of how it sat in the engine bay with the transmission unmounted at the back...

Here's a picture from underneath which shows how twisted the engine sits.  

[âIMG]

5 minutes ago, Schnellvintage said:

if the trans is not mounted yet, the engine will sit at an odd angle (only the 2 mounts).  Once the trans is mounted, at the correct location (height and centered), the engine should sit in bay correctly and straight.  BMW designed it with engine load, in mind when they positioned the mounts, and for the engine and trans mounted together..

Cheers,

M

Keep in mind the keep the hardware to the mounts loose until engine/trans are installed, align and tighten hardware.

A little twisted perhaps, but not as much as Ed's last picture from below.  My 2002's were pretty much lined up when the transmissions were out of the car.

Jim Gerock

6 minutes ago, zinz said:

It's the same subframe, Jim.  We pulled the engine/transmission out the top last year, so I have no good comparison pictures of how it sat in the engine bay with the transmission unmounted at the back...

Here's a picture from underneath which shows how twisted the engine sits.  

[âIMG]

This looks like something is up with the style of mounts or how they are bolted to the block.  Same as 2002 mounts or e9?

Jim Gerock

2 hours ago, jgerock said:

This looks like something is up with the style of mounts or how they are bolted to the block.  Same as 2002 mounts or e9?

The subframe is an NK. The new rubber mounts look identical to what came off the car. I’m convinced something isn’t right. 

I’ll loosen the mounts when I put the transmission in place, but as you can see, the rear is pretty far over and it could be a challenge to mount the transmission. 

Hopefully, it will sort out. 

Ed

20 hours ago, zinz said:

The subframe is an NK. The new rubber mounts look identical to what came off the car. I’m convinced something isn’t right. 

I’ll loosen the mounts when I put the transmission in place, but as you can see, the rear is pretty far over and it could be a challenge to mount the transmission. 

Hopefully, it will sort out. 

Ed

Something doesn't seem right with  the engine. I've done a few R&Rs and I've never seen that much angle. Can you post pics of the drivers side mounting arrangement? You'll have a challenge getting the trans on there, and that will put a side load on the trans mount. The pass side has a rubber nub that needs to seat as I recall. It has to go one way.

Also, if you're thinking of converting to dual brake system down the road, now is the time to route an extra pair of lines from near master to near struts

Edited by Hans