• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bushing /mount help

I have this small mount that came off what I believe to be a metric mechanic 5 speed swap. It helps mount the shift bracket to the transmission and we cannot seem to find where this mount might be available for purschase. It is almost like a miniature transmission mount I pictured it next to an e46 key for size comparison. 

Any Help is appreciated! Thanks 

image1 (1).JPG

That looks like a rubber mount for a stock air cleaner housing.  I have not installed a single barrel version, but the two barrel style uses three of those.

I don't recall seeing such-a-thing used on the transmission.

Do you still need them, if they do not go to the transmission?

Buckeye posted a link to them where they cost about $2 each, as opposed to $20 through BMW.  I can dig it up if you need it.

EDIT:  the e21 used a rubber mount between the back of the shifter platform and the tunnel, but it was a hollow thing which was much softer than the one in your photo.

Edited by '76mintgrun'02

That looks like one of  the mounts that secures a factory 2 bbl carb air cleaner to its mounting brackets--and if the nut is a 6mm (10mm wrench) that should confirm it.  It's way to small to be a rear trans mount--either stock 2002 or the larger E21 or Bavaria mount.

I've had a 5 speed in my '73 since 2004 and it doesn't have that little buffer, so I'm not completely convinced it's necessary...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

...or an E21 upper radiator mount bushing-

slightly bigger than the stock air cleaner bushing.  Also 6mm stud.

BMW loved those things back in the '70's.

I'm having a hard time picturing where you'd use that- does it hold the angled support

to the platform?  The angled support to the gearbox?

I hard mount both of those interfaces, and like it that way...

heh

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

56 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Toby I've seen some set ups where they use the bushing to mount the platform to the top of the tranny tunnel in place of the  angled support

Yup, seen this too, especially when they use the shift platform from an E21. Last one I saw was just a bolt through a shock absorber bushing. Similar to how the Ireland platform mounts at the back.

74 Golf

It helps mount the shift bracket to the transmission

this was the verbage that I read, and led to my difficulty in comprehension.

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL