• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any input for a 2002 newbie

Bibm5

We Midwesterners would jump on that car--my friend Dene dragged a MUCH worse-looking car home in late 2015 and it's almost ready for paint--and is gonna look great when done.  It had been sitting outside for 16 years worth of Ohio winters.

The rust on this one looks minimal, including the shock towers--but as has been mentioned, if it's been sitting outside on dirt or gravel, check the underside for rust.  Sitting on concrete is much healthier for a neglected outdoor car.  The seats are remarkably good for original squarelight seats, as is the dash.  And that is the correct interior color for a Sahara car...

If the engine turns over, it can probably be made to run; it's got a Frigiking A/C unit--US made aftermarket so the bits & pieces are still available from an A/C shop, the interior (except the headliner) looks like it just needs a good cleaning...I'd go for it, do as much work as you can yourself and first get it running (and stopping) then work on the cosmetics.

BTW, welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority.

mike

PS  FYI the wheels and wheel covers shown on your car are meant for 73 and earlier '02s (althought they fit just fine)  Squarelight cars had styled (i.e. slotted) steel wheels with very small center  caps rather than full wheel covers.  But I'll bet you'll find someone who wants those wheels and wheel covers....

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got around to picking up the 2002 and lucky for me it seems really solid. The only other rust other than what was in the pictures is just a little on the front below the front bumper which I have named "the rustache" and a small spot on the bottom of the front quarter panel just in front of the passenger door. I was very relieved to see that the sills and shock towers were rock solid. The underside of the car is what i would consider great condition for the age with very little surface rust. The interior of the car needs a good cleaning but is also in great condition (for the age that is).
After dropping a fresh battery in it and a few shots of starter fluid it came to life. After a couple more minutes of tinkering I had it idling quite nicely. It has a slight tick to it but my M5 sounds like a diesel so I imagine the noise is somewhat normal. Would a valve adjustment possibly cure that?
The trunk did not latch and was being held closed with a bungee cord. I removed the latch mechanism, soaked it with degreaser and manhandled it for a minute or so until it broke free and now its working like new again. I went ahead and cleaned the mechanism and its 3 bolts on the bench grinder and now it looks like new old stock!
Next week will be busy but if I get time I'll probably start replacing all hoses and vacuum lines and clean the carb. Heres a picture from when I got it home and a picture of the built in desk wall I traded for it. a4afc8467c4accb89ed25a517f79c6d3.jpg7be014bfcf715b108cd493d4d5f59910.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It sounds like you are already having fun!

There was one spot I saw in this trunk pic from your first post that looks almost rusty.

59851c0785c3f_trunkrust.thumb.jpg.e77dce98b9268e89e30646a8daef1226.jpg

This is a common problem area.  Try taking your air compressor and blowing out the little boxed sections in the rear wheel wells.  Watch your face, lots of crap came out of mine.

Have you ever used a clay bar?  They were new to me when my cousin sent me one.  Now I am hooked.  Wash the car.  Go over it with the clay bar, followed by MeGuiars #7 and wax after that.  You may not even need to paint it.  :)

There was one spot I saw in this trunk pic from your first post that looks almost rusty.
This is a common problem area.  Try taking your air compressor and blowing out the little boxed sections in the rear wheel wells.  Watch your face, lots of crap came out of mine.

Have you ever used a clay bar?  They were new to me when my cousin sent me one.  Now I am hooked.  Wash the car.  Go over it with the clay bar, followed by MeGuiars #7 and wax after that.  You may not even need to paint it.  [emoji4]
I'll check that spot again on Monday when I get back into the shop but I pretty much pounded all around in there with a rubber mallet when inspecting for rust. There is a bunch of light surface rust in trunk just because the trunk has been bungeed shut. I'm at a minimum going to sand blast inside the trunk and at least shoot that. It looks terrible in there. One thing I'll be doing this week is making some new trunk floor panels for sure. The ones that are in there are pretty much just crumbling away. If i dont do it quick I won't have a template to use anymore.
The car actually came with the owners handbook but unfortunately it was also in the trunk so it's pretty much just a solid block. [emoji20]
I have heard of "claying" a car but don't know anything about it. Im intrigued now though so I'll probably spend the next hr or so learning about it on YouTube. Thanks for the tip!

Have you ever used a clay bar?  They were new to me when my cousin sent me one.  Now I am hooked.  Wash the car.  Go over it with the clay bar, followed by MeGuiars #7 and wax after that.  You may not even need to paint it.  [emoji4]
So i checked again (w/ a rubber mallet) and what you see there is just a nick of surface rust. I just watched a 5 part restoration docu/movie of a 2002 on YouTube that had a decent amount of rust repair done, some on the shock towers and after seeing that it is making realize how solid this car really is (really good watch by the way) . I had a chance to slide under the car yesterday and there is only light surface rust. I ordered most of the bushings and mounts needed yesterday and will probably order more within the next few days. After all the extensive research I've been doing Im really starting to love the simplicity of the 2002 and I can definitely see myself keeping this car.

Good deal!  My car has a couple of pin holes at that location, which is why the rust spots caught my eye.  Mine are below the boxed section inside the fender well, like crud packed up against that box held moisture, or something.  Easy fix, since it is so localized and it is on the list....

One thing I wish I had done when I first got my car was to spray all the hidden areas with some sort of wax-oil product.  I have a few blisters forming in my door bottoms, which probably would not be there if I'd sprayed them.  Heh.  Still haven't done it though.

I agree about the appeal of the 2002's 'simplicity'.  It gives me a sense of security.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some things in for the 02. Still have more on the way. I'm in the process of cleaning the carb right now. I'm a little surprised that I can't find a good / complete carb rebuild kit that includes jets with it. I'm guessing that's because most people just upgrade rather than rebuild the solex that's on there? e8ec0f5259dbbc52a07b9f277688961d.jpg

Rebuild kits don't have jets, only seals, gaskets, and needle valves and such.  Including all the possible jet combinations would be folly.

If you have the stock Solex, it will be jetted correctly from BMW.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Rebuild kits don't have jets, only seals, gaskets, and needle valves and such.  Including all the possible jet combinations would be folly.

If you have the stock Solex, it will be jetted correctly from BMW.

Ed
That makes sense. 99% of the carburetors I've rebuilt have all been off of four wheelers, usually those come with new Jets. Typically the first time I just clean everything including the original Jets , run the motor couple hours then pull it off clean the carburetor again then I'd replace the Jets. I guess I'll just clean these ones a couple times.

Glass half empty:

I got an 02 for free 9 years ago and it EASILY has siphoned $25-30K out of my daughters Stanford fund and my wife's overpriced shoe fund

I have cursed and almost wept and bled and almost blinded myself (that's another story) working on this car.....

Glass half full:

It has been the most amazing fun therapuetic hobby one could ever have

I have met people from every location on earth and I know that if i went to xxxx and asked to flop the night on their floor they would welcome me with open arms... as I would anyone visiting Raleigh NC USA

So if you have the means to spend about $3K average a year for 9 years.   Go for it!!!!!

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

• 2 weeks later...