• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical light problem

Since purchase, spending garage time tidying up and improving/adding equipment, I have only driven the car twice since purchase.  I recently discovered I have not only lost my turn signals but my left rear taillight has a mind of its own. When selecting  my parking or headlights light position, the right rear is illuminated but the left taillight is out ? When I removed the taillight  assembly, the bulb in the parking light slot comes on. Realizing that the bulb must be OK and checking  that I had continuous power to the contact point at the base of the bulb, I reinstalled the assembly to the body and the light went out after 5 seconds!   I repeated this several times with the same result  (bulb illuminated, assembly reinstalled, bulb out after 4-6 seconds). Is the turn signal issue and left taillight related? I can't legally drive the car until I resolve my turn signal and rear light problem.

Engine front view polished strut bar.JPG

Exterior 2002 right rear qtr.jpg

To stop you from thinking you are going mad, yes the tail lights (actually the parking light circuits) are controlled by the direction indicator switch. Normal operation is, key out, lights off, indicator switch to the left - the left side tail light and front running light go on. Indicator off - lights off. Indicator right - right side lights on. 

This doesnt explain the odd behaviour, for that you need a wiring diagram. 

http://www.2002tii.org/kb/246

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I feel your pain. I've been chasing light/electric issues since purchase. Every thread I've read has been 'focus on ground wires, relays and sand bulb contacts.

I beat myself in the head with a hammer every attempt on fixing things and when replacing one relay another pattern of issue arises. I currently have only turn indicators and headlights working. Nothing else. I guess we could use hand signals out the window to drive the car :)

I finally resolved the left rear parking light issue. Someone had replaced the 5W bulb with a 20W bulb, so I switched it with  the same position right side 5W bulb, along with bending down on the metal contact point and all is well!  I still am working on the lack of turn signal issue but I think I have traced it to a bad Hazard switch which I think is the sole source of power to the turn signal flasher unit.

17 hours ago, Whaledriver said:

Since purchase, spending garage time tidying up and improving/adding equipment, I have only driven the car twice since purchase.  I recently discovered I have not only lost my turn signals but my left rear taillight has a mind of its own. When selecting  my parking or headlights light position, the right rear is illuminated but the left taillight is out ? When I removed the taillight  assembly, the bulb in the parking light slot comes on. Realizing that the bulb must be OK and checking  that I had continuous power to the contact point at the base of the bulb, I reinstalled the assembly to the body and the light went out after 5 seconds!   I repeated this several times with the same result  (bulb illuminated, assembly reinstalled, bulb out after 4-6 seconds). Is the turn signal issue and left taillight related? I can't legally drive the car until I resolve my turn signal and rear light problem.

Engine front view polished strut bar.JPG

Exterior 2002 right rear qtr.jpg

Boy, electrical issues aside, whomever you bought that car from must have loved it!  Look at the chrome details!  Looks like a terrific buy.  Good luck with the electrical.

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

There comes a time to assess when it is time for electrical maintenance to keep the gremlins away.  A nut and bolt inspection except it is for mainly electrical.

Make sure your battery terminals and leads are clean to include the ground attachments at the body/block/trunk floor/heater box etc and alternator ground at the timing cover. Rotate/inspect all the bullet fuses in their holders. That the small wire lead that bolts to the positive terminal is clean and tight. Locate all body grounds and check for good bonding. unscrew the fuse block from the body and carefully inspect the electrical connections etc.  Gently turn the turn signal mounting screws back and forth once in awhile and use dielectric grease and other related products such as contact cleaner, cleaning tools and a source for new wiring terminals wherever practical. Oh, and look for chafed and or damaged wiring shorting to ground, and prior owners that may have "modified" or deleted wiring.  Starting with a good baseline can help nail down the domino effect.

Nice 02 there!!

Good luck!

Edited by Mikesmalaga72

My final electrical issue (no turn signals) is solved. Everything works now.  It was a combination of  a faulty Hazard Warning light switch and poor contact on the right rear turn signal light (had to bend the positive  blade inward).  According to the electrical diagram, a lot of stuff is routed through that Hazard switch. I have bypassed it until I can locate a new replacement. At least now I can drive it. Today, I also installed: oil pressure , vacuum & voltage gages in the center console replacing the ashtray. Next I have to find a subtle way of installing a cup holder.

Interior center console with gages.JPG

Nice car.  Read through your electrical issue.  Sorry, nothing to add.

1 hour ago, Whaledriver said:

I have to find a subtle way of installing a cup holder.

I'm very happy with this subtle holder I made.  One for each side of the tunnel.  Cheap cup holders from auto parts store.  Removed hook and added stiff foam and velcro.    Sticks nicely to carpet and is low and easy to reach.  Can re-position or remove quickly as well.

Cocomat1.thumb.jpg.f628dfaf8863f883b7fc1f9cbb5c904c.jpg

OriginalCup.jpg.f0ca54b7024f96c9c06b9013f4ef721d.jpg

59641358b3bc7_CupwithFasteners.jpg.e31a8347d03c47d25c30e0ab1d33b6b5.jpg

Cup Pad Strips.jpg

73 Inka Tii #2762958

On 7/9/2017 at 9:43 PM, Simeon said:

To stop you from thinking you are going mad, yes the tail lights (actually the parking light circuits) are controlled by the direction indicator switch. Normal operation is, key out, lights off, indicator switch to the left - the left side tail light and front running light go on. Indicator off - lights off. Indicator right - right side lights on. 

Whaledriver:  From the picture you posted you have a US spec '73, and the feature Simeon mentioned above is functional on US 73 and 73 cars.  It's designed for European countries who require lights to be left on when parking on the street at night. Go figure why the US cars have this feature as that's not required in the US--AFAIK US squarelights don't and neither do pre-72 roundies. Thus on those cars, the right and left tail lights are on different fuses, so the turn signal can illuminate them (along with the parking lights) when the ignition is off.  With the ignition on, the turn signal lever selects left or right turn signal bulbs rather than parking/tail lights.  

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 7/9/2017 at 9:43 PM, Simeon said:

This doesnt explain the odd behaviour, for that you need a wiring diagram. 

http://www.2002tii.org/kb/246

In the early seventies I was employed at a BMW dealer. One of the owners, Hans, was a factory trained Mercedes Benz mechanic. He called what you just explained as the European Parking Light. He further explained that it was a law that when a car was parked on the side of a street the outside light was to remain lit for safety. Don't know if that law still exists today, but in the 60s and 70s it did. So......all the Benzes and BMWs imported during that era still had them intact.

55 minutes ago, torquewrench80 said:

In the early seventies I was employed at a BMW dealer. One of the owners, Hans, was a factory trained Mercedes Benz mechanic. He called what you just explained as the European Parking Light. He further explained that it was a law that when a car was parked on the side of a street the outside light was to remain lit for safety. Don't know if that law still exists today, but in the 60s and 70s it did. So......all the Benzes and BMWs imported during that era still had them intact.

My 2016 VW Golf wagon still does it.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

It is called a parking light, not only in Germany....but in Germany it MAY be used within city limits if the car is parked in an area with insufficient lighting. It MAY NOT be used outside city limits....at all, the v word for verboten. You used to see a lot of cars using them in the 70's and 80's in Germany (my selective memory kicking in) but now its really rare to see them used. People get a kick out of the early 02 with the turn signal on the "wrong" side because they are so used to DIN norms.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight