• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Re-finish Seat Hardware in Splatter Paint?

I have been using matte black paint and usually the spray tips turn into spatter tips, once they have been used and then dry out.

Krylon paint is proving to be quite tough, as I put it to the test reshaping air cleaner covers.

Maybe pick up a can of their matte black and spray a nice even coat on your parts, then let the tip dry and try again on a piece of cardboard, or something.

Repeat, as needed, until the tip spatters the way you want it to.

I would give them a nice even coat of the paint, then spatter them up, once the tip goes to sh!t.

I have a few spatter tips I could send you, or you are welcome to come do it here : )

Tom

27 minutes ago, Stevenc22 said:

They make wrinkle paint. Works great. Used it on a valve cover. Need to see a picture to see if splatter is the same as wrinkle.

That's what I thought at first until I looked closely at the parts.  They are not wrinkled. They definitely have a splatter pattern.  I was hoping there was product to make it easy.

20 minutes ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

let the tip dry and try again on a piece of cardboard, or something.

Repeat, as needed, until the tip spatters the way you want it to.

I may try that.

Meanwhile I will clean the parts and sand the areas that are chipped.  Mostly the edge of the hinge where people have scuffed it climbing into the back seat.

I will coat with a semi-gloss black as the parts are a little brighter than matte black.  The first coating will cover up the chipped areas and coat over the existing splatter. Then I will dry up the tip of the paint can and experiment with the splatter patterns.  Thanks Tom for that inspiration.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

When I redid the seats on my '73, I lightly scuffed the existing paint with very fine wet or dry sand paper, wiped it down with thinner, and then painted over that existing splatter paint with SEM semi flat black trim paint.

Tried my best not to sand down the splatter too much before painting over the top of it. 

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I am finding that satin is too shiny (on my air cleaner housing).  Semi gloss will be very shiny.  Matte has a nice 'glow' to it.  It is not like the ultra flat black.

It is also tolerant of handling, without changing the sheen much.  If you do want it slightly shinier, that is easy to accomplish with a little compound on a rag.  

edit: hen's suggestion is interesting, in that you could establish the texture in an undercoating and then paint it to the type of black you want.

Edited by '76mintgrun'02

You can fake splatter finishes. 

I've done it plenty of times on product models/mockups. 

Put down your solid base-coats of the black paint you're looking to use, then let it tack up (but not fully dry)

If you're using a paint-gun, it's super easy, as you just decrease the air pressure and increase the paint-flow so it throws splatters. But with a spray can, you can as previously mentioned, find a crusty spray tip, or even just apply light pressure to the tip when spraying so that you're only letting out a small amount of paint/air and it will start to throw that splatter texture. 

practice on some spare parts first.